New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at buying a cougar as a daily driver, the one i am looking at has a problem according to the owner:

"yes it runs but there a noise in the engine but not sure what it is i wont drive it because it might do more damage untill who buys and find whats really wrong"

it is a 1995, good body no rust, its a auto, with 200,000 MILES!

so most likely it is going to need a rebuild, how much do the parts usualy cost?

if i could get this for under lets say 600 is it worth it, or should i keep looking?

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
oh ok, well in that case.... to rebuild it, you would need rings, head gaskets, head bolts, rod and main bearings. All the parts would run you about $400, then if the "noise" you hear is a rod knock or something of the likes. you are going to need to have the crank ground(if it's not cracked) and replace the rod as well.

But once again, check out that web site I sent you you can get a decent low mile engine for about the same amount of money. Which is a better deal. I know one of the companies LKQ offers a 6 month warranty and if you have a shop install it they will refund labor cost up to $50 an hour if the engine fails within 6 months.

If you are mechanically inclined and can do you own work and aren't in a rush then go ahead and rebuild whatcha got. It's not that hard of an engine to work on.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i had the same problem, rod knock....parts and machine shop cost were much more than a used motor... i was able to get a replacement(50k miles) with warranty for 650 from a local salvage yard.

that made rebuilding time and fiscally unfeasible...besides, anything you don't replace is still old, in your case 200k, not to mention the idea of having metal particles from the blown bearing circulating throughout the motor is not too healthy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts