New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so what does it mean when the fluid is bubbling and making weird noises? Also, the tubes going out are like...gulping the liquid. This is truly weird. I need help because I don't think this is good news and my car is making a weird sound under acceleration, too. Under acceleration, I can hear a repeated "clicking" sound coming from the engine bay but it stops when I get off the gas sometimes.

FYI, I just installed my cold air extension (gmk) this morning on my aem short-ram that I've had on for a couple of months. I had the battery disconnected and everything...so I think in some sort of way maybe this has contributed to my problem. I don't know...I've never seen or heard of this ever happening.

Rob.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Bubbling coolant == boiling coolant. This means your coolant temps are way too high (Coolant boils much higher than water).

Put your Cougar in "diagnostic" mode (see FAQ) and switch to the engine coolant temperature readout. If it reads higer than, say, 225+, you have a serious problem. Smell your exhaust. Does it smell sweet? Probably a blown headgasket. It could be something as simple as a broken thermostat, however. If your engine temps are high, but you don't smell any burning coolant in your exhaust then check your oil cap. If your oil cap has oil and some kind of whitish-milky looking fluid on it, then you have a blown headgasket. If not, then pull your thermostat, buy a new stock replacement thermostat, put them both in a pot of boiling water and see if the one that was in your motor consistently opens at the same time as the new one. If it doesn't, it's gone.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
^ What he said. Right on, NorCal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by: NorCalCoug
Bubbling coolant == boiling coolant. This means your coolant temps are way too high (Coolant boils much higher than water).
I don't agree, sometimes a broken head gasket allows exhaust gasses to pass in the coolant, even when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna try the things you guys listed in a little bit, thanks for your responses. Between the choices blown headgasket and broken thermostat, I'm automatically assuming it's probably a blown headgasket...that would explain the ticking under acceleration.

Could this have anything to do with my cold air extension? Not being installed correctly, not getting proper airflow?? Or is this probably all just a coincidence that it happened the same day I installed it?

EDIT: Oh, and I don't see anything about how to get into "diagnostic mode" in the FAQ.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by: Callahan
Originally posted by: NorCalCoug
I don't agree, sometimes a broken head gasket allows exhaust gasses to pass in the coolant, even when the engine is cold.
Exhaust gas temps are several hundred degrees farenheit- this boils the coolant. I've never seen a car with a blown head gasket that bubbled the coolant on startup. It always took some time before it happened.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Originally posted by: Nitrik
I'm gonna try the things you guys listed in a little bit, thanks for your responses. Between the choices blown headgasket and broken thermostat, I'm automatically assuming it's probably a blown headgasket...that would explain the ticking under acceleration.
Could this have anything to do with my cold air extension? Not being installed correctly, not getting proper airflow?? Or is this probably all just a coincidence that it happened the same day I installed it?
EDIT: Oh, and I don't see anything about how to get into "diagnostic mode" in the FAQ.
You can access the Diagnostic Mode by Pressing (RESET) and (UNITS) at the same time while turing on your car. Let go as the dials spin to the right. You scroll through the modes by pressing the (SELECT) Button. Although I don't dee how this is going to help you now.

No I don't think this has anything to do with your cold air extension. Not getting proper airflow might cause loss off power or in the worse case stalling but not overheating. Air flow has nothing to do with cooling on our cars.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This happened to my friends car about 2 months ago....it's a 95 cougar and it was the water pump.

·
Registered
127 Posts
While it could be a head gasket you would typically notice a quit a bit of smoke in your exhaust either from burning oil or evaporating coolant. I would start cheapest and work up. First if you are driving city make sure the fan is working. It could be something as simple as a fuse. If that's ok then go to the thermostat. While waterpumps can fail w/o leaking or making noise, it is unusual. It is also possible that a defective cap or small leak can keep the system pressure low enough to cause boiling when the engine is hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.