New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 cougar, when i go from park to drive my car jerks forward. I had the transmition fluid changed a couple of weeks ago and it's still happening. Could damage have been done to my trany from the previous fluid being really warn down? I've also heard that the 1999 cougars will leak automatic transmition fluid. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also oddly enough it sometimes wont jerk forward if I move from park to reverse to neutral than park.

·
Registered
572 Posts
When you say "jerks forward" do you mean that the gear suddenly engages with a bit of a lurch? Does this happen when the transmission is warmed up or only from a cold start? I ask this because my ATX will frequently shift hard when going from reverse to drive when the transmission is still cold. Oh, and did you do a flush or did you just swap out fluid?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean it lurches forward. And I am indeed refering to it when its a cold start. The problem has gotten worse today, it now shakes at low revs and the acceleration dies at high revs. If I move it to second the problems dont happen. I'm almost positive its the transmition now.

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
Are you saying that if you didn't step on the brake your car would slam into a car in front of you? Or, is it just a little movement, cause when I drive my g/f's ATX cougar, hers does the same thing.

·
8,532 Posts
Keeping in mind that you should have your foot on the brake anyway! Many automatics (like my Impala) have an interlock that requires you to have your foot on the brake to shift gears, but it's just good common sense anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts