New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago my speedometer stopped working and the CEL came on. :ugh: I have '99 V6 MTX...so I took out the air cleaner to try and find the VSS on top of the transmission inorder to test it with a voltmeter and replace myself if necessary. Needless to say, I could not find it. :banghead: Please help. I can't afford to plunk down $200 bucks to have it replaced at the shop. :( Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I am not sure if this helps, but when I had my wheel bearing go bad the dealership told me that the bad bearing ruined the speed sensor and it had to be replaced too. So it's gotta be near the wheel hub assembly somewhere. Unless there is maybe more than one... Hopefully someone else can chime in and offer a little more help.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Vehicle speed will almost always be monitored near the output shaft and/or the differential. Jack the car up and look for a sensor near where the half-axles plug into the differential seals. Trace your way upwards and forward from there ;)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
dunno if this helps or not, but on my moms durango the abs sensor went out on the drivers side rear wheel and when it died, the speedo died along with it. my uncle, who works for dodge, said they're both monitored through that sensor. if that helps, cool! if not :shrug:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
That diagram is for a 2000 or better- The '99 Cougars have a mechanical VSS that attaches to the passenger side of the transaxle casing. The '99 has the mounting boss for this electronic sensor, but it's not drilled.

This was what caused such difficulty with my attempt to change a '99 ATX in a blown '00 ATX car- No workie!

You'll need to get under the car, and trace the path of the passenger side axle shaft into the transaxle. The VSS will be on the top of the transaxle casing where the passenger side axle shaft plugs into the transaxle. Look at this pic:

You can see the sensor- It's the black casing that plugs into the top of the transaxle. You're looking at the engine as if from the cabin.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all those who have replied! It is great to have a community like this. DanG, I can see the sensor in the pic, it looks just like the new one I just got. Hopefully there is enough space down there where I can reach in. BTW, nice headers. :)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
MSDS with Marty's new Jet-Hot-like coating... Muy bueno! Still shining like new after 6 months in the car...

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
DanG has the best photos...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts