New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal... I had my oil changed 3000 miles ago and everything seemed fine. I had it done while I was in Nebraska at a local shop. I went to have it changed again today, and when they were topping off my fluids they noticed something weird with the coolant resevoir. It looked like some of the red coolant was curdled - kind of like sour milk. After a while of investigating... the dealer told me that the place I had my oil change done at before put transmission fluid in my coolant tank. I can't see how this could possibly happen - the only thing I could think of is that they are both red and someone wasn't paying attention. I can't remember the name of the place I had the oil changed at last time - so I can't call them and complain. My question is: Can I just do a coolant flush and be ok? Or is this causing any damage? I have been driving with it like this for 3000 miles already and I haven't noticed anything different. I am
VERY worried about this... Please give opinions!

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Have you ever had an overheating condition? Has the temp guage gone up? Has your car felt like it's lost power?

If not, I would make a mental note of it and immediately get the coolant flush. You may need to flush it a few times to be sure the gunk is out of there. An inspection of the water pump, thermostat and temp sensor might be in order.

Be sure to keep an eye on the temp guage.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,714 Posts
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar
Ok, here's the deal... I had my oil changed 3000 miles ago and everything seemed fine. I had it done while I was in Nebraska at a local shop. I went to have it changed again today, and when they were topping off my fluids they noticed something weird with the coolant resevoir. It looked like some of the red coolant was curdled - kind of like sour milk. After a while of investigating... the dealer told me that the place I had my oil change done at before put transmission fluid in my coolant tank. I can't see how this could possibly happen - the only thing I could think of is that they are both red and someone wasn't paying attention. I can't remember the name of the place I had the oil changed at last time - so I can't call them and complain. My question is: Can I just do a coolant flush and be ok? Or is this causing any damage? I have been driving with it like this for 3000 miles already and I haven't noticed anything different. I am
VERY worried about this... Please give opinions!

I always thought that a blown head gasket would give you the "coolant milkshake" because it lets oil into the water jacket...

I'd do a compression test ASAP...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It isn't oil that is mixed in... I had it at a Ford Dealership and they told me that it was definitely tranny fluid in the tank. I haven't had any overheating issues, and no loss of performance. I think that they may have just added a little bit to top it off. I had a coolant flush done tonight - and it looks clean now. I hope it didn't mess anything up though!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would definately get it flushed. You probably haven't had any temp issues cause the temp is getting lower outside due to the time of the year. Definately get it taken care of before it causes issues for yea

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
You guys realize that the radiator on the ATX CDW-27 has a second jacket built-in for the trans cooler? Sounds like the radiator has sprung an internal leak- Heaven help your transmission if it and the water jacket have been exchanging fluids... Check your trans now for the same funk in the fluid.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is some great thinking!!! I would have never thought of that! It couldn't happen on my car though because I have an external tranny cooler and bypassed the radiator cooler all together. The performance shop I got the tranny cooler at told me to do it that way because it would cool better. They said that running the fluid into the radiator after the tranny cooler would just warm the fluid up. So, I know that a leaky radiator isn't the issue... I think it was just a case of some moron not paying attention while he was working on my car! The flush is done and I took it for a pretty long ride last night... The coolant resevoir looks fine now - so I think I will be ok.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Not that we have to tell you Zex...but keep and eye on it...and next time just do the oil change yourself...save yourself time and $$...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts