New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help with A/F ratio guage(extending wires)

Can any one one help me with this cause i can find a OK how to for the guage install but i need to extend the wire due to overhead console installion location

i NEED HELP

Thanks,

Steve

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
RE:Help with A/F ratio guage(extending wires)

go to walmart and buy a soldering iron for 10 bucks.

solder a new length of wire onto each wire you have for your af gauge. (same thickness or bigger) then use electrical tape to seal your solders.. each wire should be soldered seperatly.

other than that it is no different than normal.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Help with A/F ratio guage(extending wires)

now i guess just any old wire works or what

i mean do i need a special wire for the purple(sending wire) or what

do i have to solder then or can i just wrap then and then tape it

·
Registered
4,861 Posts

It would be recommended to use similar/same gauge wire if at all possible. I believe the autometer is 18-22ga. It's recommended that you solder, because you will be running the cable to the ECU.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
RE:Help with A/F ratio guage(extending wires)

you can get wire from RadioShack. You could aslo get a soldering Iron there as well.

once you have the wires soldered. Label the ends of your new wires so you will know which one is which. (eg.."purple wire" or "black wire" etc)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i just looked at my guage and it only had 3 wires insteed of 4

the wire it is missing is the white wire (12v headlight switch but in the instructions it says some models dont have the white wire and are lunar

kinda werid i think

it going in a diffrent spot than all my other gauge plus it look stoally difrent so i think iw ill install it anyway

i dont think there much i can do anyway

Any comments??????

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

sweet .... i thoguht i had a defective gauge but i guess i dont

Thanks Alot

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do i need to use automotive grade wiring and do i need to solder the connextions???????

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Dont cut shortcuts. Solder! Its EASY.

Learn to do it the Right way. The 1st time....

If for any reason one of the wires comes loose and grounds out...your looking at $600 at a minium to replace your ECU.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
welli got a fuse on it and i use connector with alot of electrical tape wrap around

so i would think im good to go

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
welli got a fuse on it and i use connector with alot of electrical tape wrap around

so i would think im good to go

Can i just ground the black wire to the inside roof of the car

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
you can ground it to anything metal attached to the frame of the car. BTW, what kind of "Connector" are you using? A crimp splice? Electrical tape is NOT meant to insulate, its meant to wrap around splices to neaten them up or as a loom or casing to tidy up a bunch of wires into one strand, or as clothing for club goths. Not to keep 2 wires twisted together. After about 9 months, the adhesive will begin to weaken and the tape may begin to unwind itself. especially in the hot summer. Just dont twist the bare wires together and tape around that. at least use some wire nuts (also found at Radio Shack).

what does the autometer auctually read? I mean, how does it know what to display weather its installed in a '99 coug or '03 caddy? Theyre different cars with different tuning specifications. How does the meter read "good mixture" for 2 totally different cars? Is something standardized?

Just like the temp. gauges. I know there are a few different sending units for my MGB, I bought a rebuilt motor and It came with an earlier temp sender, so my gauge read barely off the peg at running temp. The proper sender fixed it but thats '60s technology. Do ALL temp senders now output the same voltage/°F ? or do they come with their own sender if you buy a temp gauge? ahhhhhhh!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.