New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm new here. The situation is, I have a 2001 Mercury Cougar V6, Automatic, original ownwers and its my sister's car (58000 miles). Just a couple weeks back, the check engine light comes on. My trusty mechanic tells me to run the A/C less, because the car is getting too hot. Just today, I took it to my local Ford dealer, for diagnostic and confirmation of my mechanic, and they tell me the codes they get (P0741 & P1744) are for the transmission and they found transmission fluid and oil leaks. Also, in the morning, or before the car warms up, I've noticed that the car will not fully engage in reverse. Its as if the car, in reverse, goes in neutral for a few seconds, then all of a sudden shifts into reverse and the car will move, then it will go into neutral again, only in the morning. Its almost as if its hesitant or something, but if I push the gas pedal, it'll just rev and when it finally engages it'll move. FYI, we had gotten the tranny rebuilt by our mechanic when it started slipping, less than a year ago, or he might've installed a rebuilt one, not exactly clear on that (46000 miles). Seems that it is barely within the 12000 miles warranty mark. I haven't had any other real problems with the car, except for the fuel pump campaign deal and for some reason the door handle doesn't spring back in place, and that has to get changed and we otherwise love the car. So, I want to know exactly what the codes mean, P0741 & P1744. It seems that the tranny on this car particularly is a recurring problem, or is it on a lot of Automatic 99-02 Cougars...? After I get it fixed, would you guys recommend selling it, or should I keep it. It will be payed off next year, but we don't want this problem coming back, or want other problems as the car ages. My sister drives all over the place, and this is sometimes why I think this car develops such a problem, but otherwise its not like it is driven very hard, just extraneously. Any techs know what might cause the problem and if I should repair the trans or get it fully replaced? And also what I should do if I do plan on keeping the car in good shape, especially with a costly item such as the transmission. Thank you in advance for your advice. I also posted this in problems, but it deals with the transmission so I posted here also.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Sounds like a sticking valve body ... get a valve body rebuild and you should be good to go.

Remember: It is ALWAYS cheaper to repair an older car than to buy a new one. Not only does the new car cost more, your insurance will rise as well. The ONLY time this doesn't hold true is when the car you are selling is an exotic, in which case, it would be easier to buy a new car than pay <insert exotic car dealership name here> to fix it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by: FastCougar
Sounds like a sticking valve body ... get a valve body rebuild and you should be good to go.

Remember: It is ALWAYS cheaper to repair an older car than to buy a new one. Not only does the new car cost more, your insurance will rise as well. The ONLY time this doesn't hold true is when the car you are selling is an exotic, in which case, it would be easier to buy a new car than pay <insert exotic car dealership name here> to fix it.

Hey there FastCougar. Thanks for the advice, I guess i'll try passing this information to my mechanic. I took advice from another guy on this forum, not saying it was bad, but he suggested a installing a transmission cooler. Funny thing was, we were going to give the car to our mechanic on a Monday, and from Friday until Monday, the car was not in use, not started at all. That Monday morning, I started the car and the Check Engine light was off (as if the 3 day period caused the car to cool off completely), and also the reverse gear was working fine, although it wasn't as cold compared to other mornings that the reverse gear did not work. We still took it to our mechanic though, and asked him to install the transmission cooler. We finally got it back today, but things did not turn out well. My sister drove out of the shop, and went to get a car wash. She said the car was very jittery and acting funny. She came home, and there was some type of fluid everywhere on the driveway and the car was smoking a little (My sister said she was dizzy from the smell). I wasn't sure what it was, although I was pretty sure it was transmission fluid, it was brown. I pulled out the ATF dipstick, and it was all brown. I remember checking it a couple weeks back, and the fluid had that pinkish hue color. Usually, when the ATF fluid is brown, it is burned, correct? Also my sister said the check engine nor any other lights came on while this was all happening. I couldn't pin point the leak at the time, and it was very hot outside, so I called the mechanic and told him what had happened. I was afraid to drive it back to the mechanic, since I did not want to worsen the situation and he said to just have it towed. It was towed back to the shop, and I asked him what he thought it could be, and he said he wasn't sure. I guess i'll find out tomorrow, but I hope no further damage was caused if the car was driven for about 5 miles. I guess my question is, the ATF would most likely spill all over the place if the tranny cooler was not installed correctly, right? And would there have been any damage to the transmission if the ATF was burned and there wasn't an adequate amount of fluid? Might I add that it did not leak until after we left, so this means that it some how got messed up and started leaking as the car was running. My Dad just wants the tranny replaced if it is still under warranty our mechanic's warranty, but I don't think he will go for it. I also know it is more expensive getting a new car, but my sister was thinking about getting a used car, something a little more reliable (Or what she thinks is more reliable as in Japanese brand cars) so she wouldn't have to worry about her car and also so she can finish school more quickly. The car is also not payed off (A little over a year to go) and if we were to sell, we have a deal set up for buying a used. I'm not ready to do it yet though. We'll see if the car is something easy to fix or not, and then go from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.