New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Dale and I'm a newbie at NECO and just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I also have a few problems with my car that I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on.

The first problem I have encountered is like a vibration in my front end. When driving I really don't feel the vibration in my butt, I feel it more on the steering wheel and in my legs.

The other problem I have also encountered is a like rotten egg smell when I get higher up in rpms. Have any of you encountered these problems before?

Thank you for any and all help!
Dale

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi and Welcome! Where are you from in Ohio?

There are a great bunch of folks here so I am sure they will all make you feel right at home. I'm not on much anymore...but today the boss is gone and I'm bored!

I know the vibration could mean that you need your wheels/tires rotated and balanced. Check the air pressure in your tires as well as look for a bent rim. I had a wheel bearing go out at 55K miles or so and that was one of the first symptoms. Just a heads up as quite a few of us have had that problem. PITA!!!

I *believe* the rotten egg smell had to do with a problem with the catalytic converter...I also believe there was a recall...check with a local dealer. I have a 99 as well but did not have this particular problem...alot of peeps did. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Good Luck!

-Beth-

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Catalytic converter most likely for egg smell.

Vibrations can be pretty much any single or combination of suspension and driveline components.

If mostly at 60-70 mph but better at 80+ and hardly noticeable under 60 then there is a good chance of just being a wheel balance issue. (you should hope!)

Otherwise it could be:
Wheel bearing- (unlikely unless there is grinding noises that go away when turning one direction or another)

Loose tie rod end links- (wheel will squirm back and forth and vibrate as speeds increase).

Upper strut mounts- (this can cause louder bumps, alignment issues (pulling to one side), vibration, and a general "loose" feeling in the suspension. This can often be visually diagnosed by looking at the upper strut nut housing under the hood with tires pointed straight. A blown upper mount will cause the rubber disk to protrude up to a half inch off the strut tower. If one side or both sides have more than a tiny gap between the strut upper ring/nut and the tower then replace them...both sides preferably.

Other components to check would be sway bar bushings and link, bent control arms, and general tire condition/ tread/ etc. Check tire pressures too especially with our constantly changing temps. I think it is something like 1lb pressure for every 10degrees change in temp.

If you figure out the problem let us know cuz a couple of us have a lot of suspension experience on these cars.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Welcome :)

Yes you probably have Cat problems. If you're up at high RPM's will your battery light come on? Had my alternator replaced and the light doesn't come on anymore and my rotten egg smell went away. Could just be my demonic car, but could work for others.

And I have vibrating issues at the moment as well. But hope it's not a bearing although that god-awful noise will be unmistakable.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Welcome to NECO:wave:
I've also got a small vibration as well. Nothing serious and hardly ever changes with speed. I'm not too worried about it at the moment. I'm more concerned about getting rid of this CEL. I also get the rotten egg smell once in a while as well. But not very often. I've heard that the rotten egg smell could also mean that your cabin air filter needs changed as well. But i'm unsure of that info.
Anyways, hope to see ya at future meets :)

Originally posted by: silverkat
Welcome :)

Yes you probably have Cat problems. If you're up at high RPM's will your battery light come on? Had my alternator replaced and the light doesn't come on anymore and my rotten egg smell went away. Could just be my demonic car, but could work for others.

And I have vibrating issues at the moment as well. But hope it's not a bearing although that god-awful noise will be unmistakable.
LMAO....i think i'll just keep this comment to myself...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Welcome aboard! About your problems, just like everyone say, okay I just wont waste your time and repeat it. They are all right and that should pretty much tell ya whats wrong :). I hope that your cougar is fine after you figure out whats wrong, and if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask, thats why we are here.

I hope you take a look at the first thread in this chapter and try to make the Winter Meet. Its gonna be a good time.

Diane, I agree with Brian, I will keep my comments to myself. Better get that vibration looked at asap :naughty:

Again welcome and hope your stay is enjoyable and we help in anyway possible. :grouphug:

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
welcome and merry christmas!

i dont have any advise, sorry lol.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Nah we just made something out of nothing lol :) You know we love ya Diane. :grouphug: I miss you and slade, you 2 better make the winter meet. Also I called slade lastnight I m making a trip up this weekend I think to get mesh, and hopefully swap intakes well actually just maf adapters with him.

I hope is the key word lol. Maybe we ll get to hang out then!!

Edited:I cant spell, I m retarded. Sorry

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hey Dale,

Merry Christmas, 2u2. I wont repeat what everyone else said cause I will be just wasting your time.
Oh yeah and Welcome to NECO!!! :wave:

Sare and DK welcome u

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You know I love you too :kiss: And I know you only miss Slade - not me.

I gotta ask, why are you driving an hour for MESH?! Didn't I give you mesh when you were up here the weekend before CF2K3? I heard you needed a tube or something? I assume you're aware of my X-Mas present? I don't know anything about it, but if I end up with anything that can be usable to you then you're more than welcome to it. I doubt I can help you out though. Is he really gonna swap MAF adapters with you?

Maybe we ll get to hand out then!!
^^ Huh? ^^

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
WELCOME TO NECO Dale
I'm Mike
Local drag strip Junkie
Have you ever run your Cougar at the strip?

Have a great holiday season

Later
Mike

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Diane, Yes I know what you are getting. I m talking to slade right now about what I need etc. He knows and I know and you ll know soon lol

That word was supposed to be maybe we can HANG out.......... not hand lol. Sorry I m dumb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts