New Cougar Forum banner

Heating options in a detached garage?

827 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  crazyoldcougar 
#1 ·
When i bought my house my building inpector told me that the furnace in my detached garage was junk, which the seller confirmed, so i took money off for that. Now here i am with a two-car detached garage in the winter with no heat at all. i definitely want to get this problem rectified this summer sometime, but am undecided on what kind of heat to get. Should i get your typical furnace, or a box-type that suspends from the ceiling? What do the rest of you have in your detached garage? Remember i already have the gas line run so this shouldn't be too expensive.

#2 ·
Just get one of those space heaters that run off natural gas or a tank of propane. My dad uses the latter and runs it through a makeshift clambake boiler stand (just a metal stand w/openings for the propane to come out. You boild a pot of water on top).

He let's that run for maybe 5-10min and the garage is toasty warm. Especially when you start working. Just make sure you insulated the garage nice so you don't loose all that.

#4 ·
Originally posted by: ov3n
put a bunch of toasters on the floor and turn them on.
Mmmm... toasty! :thumbsup:

Damn... now i want Quizno's. :tongue:

i kinda want to keep a thermostat set to like 40 degrees when it's ridiculously cold like right now. That was the car is like 40 degrees instead of 10 when it's about 0 degrees outside.

#5 ·
I'm just starting to do some house searches or myself and already have been thinking about how I'll set-up my garage (Heated is in the top 10 of things I'll do) and from what I've seen in other's garages it looks like it just depends on your space and likes. I've seen the ones suspended from the ceiling that worked great and regular furnaces that worked well too. The one suspended was in a tiny garage and the other in a large one. Now in my current house (parents) we have an attatched garage (never reaches freezing inside and partially insulated) but no heat. So w/ an attatched garage you most likely will remain above freezing anyways, even though it makes a cold environment to work in.

#6 ·
we have a wood funace in our garage it's for 25,000 btu, get's REAL warm in the garage :biggrin:

#7 ·
i too have a wood burning fireplace with a blower in my detached garage...too bad my garage is so small i can barely open the doors with my car in there..i install lots of those suspended space heaters in garages and shops all winter long they seem to work quite well...another option is a radient tube heater...i thinkyou can get them power vented so you wouldnt have to go through the roof with the exhaust vent but rather through a wall...big difference between the two heater is the blower style only heats the air in the garage where as the radient tube heater heat s the objects in the room which in turn heat the room...nothing like being a heated garage and having your wrenchs freezing cold..radient is better and more effecient how ever cost more initially too...blower style are cheaper but cost more to run..wood burnig costs nothing if you have trees to cut down..hehe

#8 ·
Suspened from the ceiling heaters don't seemed to be the most efficient because it seems like there always on. Depending on what you want to spend I am doing a natural gas heater for my 3 car garage w/ remote mounted thermostat(a must) and it will work great. It gonna cost my just under $800, I am installing myself w/ help. Thats the best hands down.

#9 ·
ive just been helping my friend and his dad build a garage/workshop thats detached. we installed a "box heater" as you said, that hangs from the celing, and we've insulated the whole place. it only gets up to about 60* right now because we still have about half the roof to insulate, but it should be done by next weekend, and then it will get up at about maybe 70*-75*. so it shold be a good temp. i think thats your best bet for a nice prfessional, clean, goodworking, out of the way install that would probably raise the retail value of the hosue if you sell it. maybe not a lot, but it would raise it some, whereas the space heater wont. and i doubt a space heater will heat a 2 car garage too fast, but i could be wrong.

#10 ·
sorry by space heater i meant box heater...same thing....they are both hooked up to gas and have a controled thermostat...and a remote on isnt necesarily the best...he best route is a programable/digital one...and the best heater would be by far a radient tube heater...no question..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.