New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i will be attempting the headlight openning using the oven method! I was told 200* for about 15 mins. Im just wondering if anyone has so good tips on anything and what brand i should use to re-seal them!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
heat gun will get just as hot as an oven...but on a side note with a heat gun you wont have to remove the guts..not sure if you even have too i just did to be sure they didnt melt..

PS not every owns a heat gun...

hair dryier will work too but it doesnt get anywhere near as soft and plyable as it does in the oven...

YOU WONT NEED ANY ADDITIONAL SEALENT IF YOU USE A HEAT METHOD..like any of the three prementioned ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used the oven just cause im lazy and didnt have much time. I did 250 for about 8 min and i made sure it was on a flat pan. make sure you wear oven mitts the front will not get that hot but the back is major hot : ) lol then simply get a flathead screw driver and split it apart slowley and it will come apart very easy. When I was finished taking the yellow piece out (remember theres a star faced screw holding the chrome piece to the clear part once its open) gotta love ford;;; I put it back together and back in the oven for about 5 min and pushed the parts together to reform the glue and placed the metal clips back one VOILA clear headlights with an ugly boxed off part where the yellow piece once went..Im working on making clear pieces molded off my yellow ones to fit perfect If anyone is interested post and I might make some more to sell : )..

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NICE!

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
An oven is the easiest way though as it evenly heats all the seals at the same time... a hair dryer or heat gun takes longer as you have to do a small bit at a time. About 10 mins in the oven and it just pops open easily, same for resealing them, just heat it up again and push it back together with the origonal sealant goop. I've had NO troubles when doing it that way.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I was also thinking about doing this and when I told my girlfriend she looked at me like I was crazy. I knew I heard about the oven method somewhere, so I'm glad I found this. Also, I think they make clear headlight markers (like the Euro-style headlights), but I'm not to sure where to find them.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mine are fogging like CRAZY so I need to re-seal them. I didn't do the oven method the first time so I'm sure I didn't get a good seal. Bah. If I need new sealant, where do I get it? What kind?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Just get any black exterior trim sealer, should be at any car part shop or walmart even.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
does anyone know if this oven method would work for opening the taillights?

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
crazyoldcougar said:
PS not every owns a heat gun...
Go to Home Depot.

Buy heat gun.

Take it home.

Use it for a few minutes for particular task of the day.

Go back to Home Depot.

Go to returns desk and return heat gun.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Rikenbomb said:
Too much work carajo, not to mention the cost of gas. Oven method is far much better.
Maybe for you, but HD is a mile and a half from my house. No way I'm putting car parts in the same oven as my food, the Maytag repairmen are nasty, I'd rather not need them to come fix.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.