New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I don't know if there is a proper place that I should post this question, (Audio & Electrical?), but here goes...

I was wondering if anyone knows the replacement part number for Cougar Headlight Bulbs? I want to purchase a pair of Sylvania SilverStar Bulbs. Also, while on the subject, anyone know where to get them? I checked some places like AutoZone.com and kind of don't know what I am looking for.

Thanks!

BTW, I don't have an Owner's Manual so please don't think I am just being lazy ;)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
What year. on my 01, the Low beams are 9006, the high beams are 9005. I'm not sure if this changes between years or if its just the foglights.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
99's are 9005 hi 9006 low, h3 fog

Autozone used to have a big 3' section of just SilverStar stuff... but theyve now mixed them in with all the other Wagner and Phillips bulbs they sell. last i was there they didnt carry the H3's yet. You can get them on eBay for like $35 a pair shipped, which isnt bad considering Autozone wants $19.99 ea

·
Registered
487 Posts
are these bulbs better than, say eurolite xenons?? These seem really popular, but i just dont know why:stupid:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Bah. Eurolites are bluer, but much dimmer in intensity. not to mention surprisingly prone to failure... Ive owned 3 different pairs for 3 different cars, cougar included... no pair lasted for more than 4 weeks before one or both blew out.

S

·
0 Posts
9006 low beam 9005 high beam. h3 fogs....And my company sales sets of hyperwhites for 25 a set. pm if interested

F

·
0 Posts
silver stars are the $hit they are really brite and last a long time. kragen sells them. they run like 55-60 bucks.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Do they have silverstars in H7 for those of us with euro headlights?

·
Registered
32 Posts
JoeyRoland -
If you are interested, I have a couple of low beam headlight bulbs (9006) that I purchased for my 01 Cougar.

I have the CATZ Azurri bulbs "4700K", and I have Pia Super Whites (3800K).

I was experimenting with the whole HID thing and purchased 3 sets of bulbs. Those listed above and CATZ Galaxy White (4300K). OF all the bulbs, I like the Galaxy Whites the best, but now I have 2 extra sets of bulbs, that I really do not need!

Here are the Bulbs:
Catz Azurri White (4700K)
Pia Super White (3800K)
9006 style bulbs

·
Registered
487 Posts
are the Catz Azurri lights expensive?? and how do they compare to xenon's and silverstars??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thickie -
I originally paid $85.00 for these lights.
Right now I am just trying to get rid of them.

Compared to Xenon or SilverStar:
Not nearly as bright as Xenon. No experience with the SilverStar.

I will say this, when I installed them, the color was amazing. HOWEVER they where not as bright as I would have liked them. As a matter of fact I drove my car with the fog lights on to see.

I called CATZ about the bulbs and brightness, should have done this before purchasing them from another reseller. They informed me that the AZURRI brand is used with their Zeta HID system. Basically I do not have the juice to pump UP the brightness (ballast), but I still remained street legal.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Hey...

As an owner of a 99, I *always* drive with my foglights on! The black interior of the lights just soaks up too much of it for them to be that bright.

Actually, here's another alternative for you. Sylvania also makes their "Cool Blue" line. It's half the price of the Silver Stars, and some say just as bright (the guy in Canadian Tire told me not to waste my money on the SS's)..

Anyway, just put these Sylvania Cool Blue's in, and am very impressed. At least versus standard 9005's and 9006's, these bulbs look AWESOME! Much brighter. They were CAD$13.99 each for both the high's and lows. The SS's were CAD$27 each I think at Canadian Tire.

Btw, I hate spending frivolously, and was able to rationalize these as a "safety" purchase for my car in the wintertime. They are MUCH better! ;) Look great too.

Massiv.

P.S. Watch out for the stupid CLIPS! Maybe don't change them when it's too cold out. When I changed mine it was cold out, and two retainer clips on TWO separate wiring harnesses broke, and the plastic part on one side of the metal bar that holds the dustcover on the back of the light frickin broke on me too. Ended up having to ghetto-tape up the headlight.! You can't see it, but I hate doing repair jobs on my car that begin and end with duct tape! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts