New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well like the title says my headlights have most definilty seen better days, they are now gettin like a brown discolored thing going on with them, besides the fact theres like a "spider - like " effect going on w/ them, i dont wannt spend $400 on new ones, so i was wonderin how the heck can i clean them up, is their such thing as a polisher, and if so the name of it........ i got a few pics to help explain what my lights are doing :mad:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:cry: great so many people w/ the same problem and no 1 can really know how to fix them, Gotta Love Ford:banghead:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, kind of a rough feeling coating on the outside of the headlight? I cleaned mine up witha meguiar's product and a buffer. I am at work right now but will post the product name this evening. It cleaned them up like new.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sweet i think i may have found the solution to the lens problems, well today i used some 3M stuff, called finesse that is used on boat paint, (bought @ a boat place about $23) anyways i decided to rub some on, and amazingly it did get rid of that ugly brown discoloration, however there is still lke a distincitve "weirdness" to the lens the weirdness being that the brownsih area, is now no longer brown but not as smooth as the rest of the lens, so i waxed it and got it nice and shiny.... so now i think it looks just fine, until further inspection, meaning gettin up really close to the lens, oh well im really picky...

I also found a website wich claims you can get rid of that by using thier
8 oz. Meguiar's No. 17 Plastic Cleaner
8 oz. Meguiar's No. 10 Plastic Polish
2 foam applicators
13 oz. Plexus Plastic Cleaner & Protectant <-- This gets rid of the discoloration / stains
1 Viper Glass Cleaning Cloth
-----------------------------------------
$29.95

i guess you can just by the Meguiar's Stuff, instead of the whole kit seperatly at this page. Plastic Window Kit Cleaner, i may by this not sure yet but i was hoping some one else has already used this, or one of these products anyways.. and if so where else u can by it . . .

-Al

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the disscoloring and haze is on the outside of the lens, there's a very simple trick to cure the problem. Wetsand the headlight with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. This will smooth out the lens and clear the weathering off. Then use "Mother's" plastic polish and buff the headlight very well. This may take a few times on very rough headlights, but it's a sure fix. You can then also clearcoat the headlight after to ensure that the hazyness will not return.

Here's how it looked on my Mustang before and after.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.