New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm currently rebuilding a 2001 Mercury Cougar I-4. I'm looking for both headlights, passenger tail light, and the AC/heater bezel. Can someone direct me in the right direction as this will be my show car.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Ebay, the junkyards, this group, or the Facebook group.
Row52

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Row.
Row52
I have tried the junkyards, either they have what I need but mine are in better shape or have nothing at all. E-bay has the tail lights but one one headlight that isn't any better than what I have. I have tried all the avenues o can think of. I was told to ask in there type of forums to get pick others brains

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Unfortunately this car was relatively low volume, never had aftermarket headlights, and had a headlight revision halfway through it's life. Ford sold all of about 40k 01-02 Cougars IIRC, and most of those have now met the crusher, headlights and all. What headlight spare parts were made for the 01-02's were sold out a few years ago.

In short, unless you've got cracked headlights, you're better off refinishing them than trying to replace them.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Unfortunately this car was relatively low volume, never had aftermarket headlights, and had a headlight revision halfway through it's life. Ford sold all of about 40k 01-02 Cougars IIRC, and most of those have now met the crusher, headlights and all. What headlight spare parts were made for the 01-02's were sold out a few years ago.

In short, unless you've got cracked headlights, you're better off refinishing them than trying to replace them.
Stuart, as usual, is right. If your lights aren't broken, you will do better to clean them up. The good news is that the 01-02 lights are easy to clean up and respond well to the off-the-shelf headlight cleaning kits. A little bit of elbow grease and they will look good as new.
If they are broken, then the junkyards are your best bet.

Row52 has 40 01-02 cars listed right now. Surely there are good lights on some of them.

If there aren't any near you, you can pick a car in a yard, then select that yard, then find people who pull parts at that yard who might send you what you need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you sooo much. I tried the lens kits but, was unsuccessful so, I have found using 600grit, 1500grit and 2000grit wet sanding and using UV clear coat has made a huge difference.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,844 Posts
How come my lights flicker when I drive all my lights come in and outz)
Crap wiring on the stock alternator harness. There’s a TSB on how to fix it, it’s been linked here dozens of times.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,844 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts