New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my stock antenna started dry rotting and cracking, so i recently bought a 6 inch billet antenna and my radio puts out alot of static...i was wondering if there is any way to boost the sensitivity or power of the reception or possibly adding another antenna that i could hide or something. i really don't know much about getting radio reception, so i don't know where to start looking. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Buy another stock antenna that screws on. Thats your best bet for reception. The shortys are said to lose some reception when you install them.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Another alternative is to purchase a hidden antenna. Hooks directly to the back of your radio, and then you run the cable from there, usually up your A pillar. If I'm not mistaken, Best Buy carries them.

E1

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks eternal one...that's more the answer i was looking for...im gonna swing by best buy today and see if i can pick one up. hopefully i will be able to find a way to hook up both antennas and get good reception again.

thanks again
james

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
does this require taking the radio out????

·
Registered
517 Posts
dont use both. use one or the other. the amplified antennas work great, so dont try and "rig" it so both antennas work. the sum of both the antennas dont add up to the quality of one good one!
josh

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
and then get your stock antenna shaved off! :biggrin:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by: JAMallott

not a bad idea, but i kind of like the look of the radio control car type of antenna that the stock location gives us :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
can you just take your overhead console off and hook a amplier antenna up there some how even if it kinda riged cause i need reception
nbut i cant ake my headunit out

·
Registered
850 Posts
Originally posted by: JAMallott
Like me.....sshhh.........Since I took it off for my roof scoop, I just stuck the factory antenna through the headliner. Reception suck real bad so im gonna run buy Best Buy and see if they have one for me.
To stay on topic, my billet antenna never got any reception ether

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: RioredCoug
can you just take your overhead console off and hook a amplier antenna up there some how even if it kinda riged cause i need reception
nbut i cant ake my headunit out
Why? This has to be one of the easiest things to do.... just get the removal tools, or rig something up. If you're aftermarket, just PULL!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Easy my ass!!! grrrrrr. I followed the directions and pulled at that thing for an hour and only one side would come out, I said **** it and got a butter knife!. Then said well **** the clips are broke, shoved it back in, took it to the dealership, let them try to get it out and said WOW you broke it! So they fixed it on them err on warranty.

·
Registered
517 Posts
patience is a verture. especially when removing ford radios with tabs that bent outward!! it just takes time to get a hold on the clips, TIME TIME TIME!!! ive wanted to break a few ford radios in my day, but never have. just took way longer than it should have!! i did have to cut a radio chassis apart once because the girls boyfriend tried to get the unit out by breaking the face, then he broke the tabs, and then got the radio jammed in the dash!! that sucked!!
josh

PS ---a GOOD set of keys helps a great deal. find a Snap On man and get em from him. those silver ones are junk, and sometimes actually push the clips out themselves!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts