New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has expericed a few things I am going to list below with their cars:

Noise #1.) When down shifting off the highway (i have an atx btw) has your car ever bucked. Like the noise comes from the rear and it almost sounds like metal hitting metal.

Noise/ Action #2). Im at a red light and I give my car a little gas to get her going and all of a sudden its like the transmission gets stuck or something. The car will litterly jump off the road (the wheels spin) and it jerks really hard and makes a BAM sound then shes fine. (doesnt do it often)

Noise#3.) When I put my car into reverse theres some werid a$$ vibration noise that comes from the rear. Its almost like said noise in #1.

and Finally Noise #4.) Im driving down the highway at about 65 mph and all of sudden the front of my car starts to vibrate. The vibration is so bad that you can actually hear the change rattle in the ash tray. It will stop if I lay off the accelerator and tap it again.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what any of these could be before I turn it over to a shop and have them rip her a part and look for stuff and then charge me 500$ to find nothing wrong. >,<

Definally looking for a second car/truck in the spring!!

Thanks a head of time.
Sarev.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The noise coming from the rear of your car might be your exhaust.... The exhaust is held up by these little rubber hangers...so it kinda bounces... I had a metal hanger put on mine and now I dont hear the noise anymore... You should go look under your car and kinda wiggle your exhaust... Its worth a shot! :) Hope that helps...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bev04- I had the hangers replaced 3x and the exhaust will not budge but the noise still continues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have an ATX too......have your tranny checked mine did the same jerking when shifting and taking off at lights etc....and i had autozone pull the codes and it was the torque converter that went and had to have the tranny replaced.....may not totally the same thing u have goin on but sounds similar to what happened to me worth a try to have it checked before it gets worse

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: Jesslynn
I have an ATX too......have your tranny checked mine did the same jerking when shifting and taking off at lights etc....and i had autozone pull the codes and it was the torque converter that went and had to have the tranny replaced.....may not totally the same thing u have goin on but sounds similar to what happened to me worth a try to have it checked before it gets worse
why did you need the whole tranny replaced..you couldn't just get a new converter?

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
dont ask me the dealership did it cuz it is still under warranty so they replaced the whole thing...i didnt care cuz i didnt have to pay anything plus im glad they did in case anything else was wrong with the old one

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
#4 sounds like your wheels are out of balance...check them inside and out for a missing weight...i have had this happen before scares the ****e out of you an the highway eh?

i have a question...why are you DS an auto off the highway??i have never understood the whole shifting the gears in an automatic thing...why not use your brakes or just coast? i usually coast until it is safe to put her back into 3rd..

my prob #1 why does it sound like my gears are grinding when shifting form first to second every morning when the car is cold...once she warms up things seem to sound fine..i can feel what kinda feels like the grind as well it isnt just a sound..HELP PLEASE!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
if anybody is getting that exhaust noise,mine was coming from my muffler rattling against one of the tow hooks under the bumper.i just bent it away from the muffler a little,prblem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts