New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has expericed a few things I am going to list below with their cars:

Noise #1.) When down shifting off the highway (i have an atx btw) has your car ever bucked. Like the noise comes from the rear and it almost sounds like metal hitting metal.

Noise/ Action #2). Im at a red light and I give my car a little gas to get her going and all of a sudden its like the transmission gets stuck or something. The car will litterly jump off the road (the wheels spin) and it jerks really hard and makes a BAM sound then shes fine. (doesnt do it often)

Noise#3.) When I put my car into reverse theres some werid a$$ vibration noise that comes from the rear. Its almost like said noise in #1.

and Finally Noise #4.) Im driving down the highway at about 65 mph and all of sudden the front of my car starts to vibrate. The vibration is so bad that you can actually hear the change rattle in the ash tray. It will stop if I lay off the accelerator and tap it again.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what any of these could be before I turn it over to a shop and have them rip her a part and look for stuff and then charge me 500$ to find nothing wrong. >,<

Definally looking for a second car/truck in the spring!!

Thanks a head of time.
Sarev.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
ATX bang shift

Sare definetly check this out it's cheap and easy try this before you take her in.

Later
Mike

·
Administrator
24,500 Posts
This is from a Saturn tech website, but it could work...

1. Change the transaxle fluid and filter (use "conventional" not synthetic fluid)
2. Add your choice of automatic transmission fluid additive (transmedic, Lucas etc...personal choice, Prolong auto transmission additive)
3. Start the car firmly set the parking brake, chock the wheels and or back it up against a firm immovable object (A brick wall works well)
4. Put the car in REVERSE and LEAVE IT THERE, RUNNING, IN REVERSE, for about 20-30 mins at idle.

What this does is use the clean transaxle fluid and additive to flush out the reverse passage in the valve body by simulating driving in reverse for about 10 miles. IT WILL NOT HARM THE TRANSAXLE OR ENGINE IN ANY WAY. After completing this proceedure, (99 times out of 100) your reverse slam will vanish for at least several months and maybe forever (actually usually forever is a better description) Maintain the transaxle correctly from that point forward. If it initially does not work for long, you can REPEAT the proceedure without changing the clean fluid and sometimes net good results BUT if after 2 tries things have not improved you are probably looking at valve body replacement. YOU MUST CHANGE THE FLUID FIRST! Doing this with "dirty" fluid still in the transaxle may actually make it WORSE. Also "normal" transmissiopn "flushes" WILL NOT cure this problem, as they don't feed enough "warm" clean fluid through the valve body for long enough.

F

·
0 Posts
The vibration from the front of the car has to do with your alignment. My car does the same, and it should go away with an alignment. but i just have not had time to take it in. The last time i took it in, they took 2 hours just to do the alignment. I was there forever. But hope that helps some. Like i said, mine goes away if i align the tires.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gyger-
ATX bang shift
Did that back in July. It only worked for a short while. It started back up again.

Bennett9000- Thats something I will definally have to try.

FastAzzCougar- I just got new tires, new wheel barrings, and an alignment at the beginning of November. So I dont think
its that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
for number two
are you talking about when the rpms run high, cause that happens to
my car every so often. Usually i just turn my car off and then start it up
again and everything is fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts