New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened to me and 99mercougar. We are wanting to know if this has happened to anyone else, if it has or you might have any information as to why it has happened please let us know.

In January one morning I went to start my car and smelled burning plastic so I shut my car off waited 30 min and went to work. On my way to my wifes work my car shut off in the middle of traffic, luckily i manuvered it accross 2 lanes of traffic through the parking lot dodged the bus swerved around some old people and into a parking spot. I tried to restart the car but nothing. I came back for it laterthat night, turning on the car once again I smelled the smell again. I decided to let the car warm up since it was a cold night when all of a sudden I looked over and my car had caught fire! In between the front windshield and the hood there is an air grill where wiring harness is. When i looked over flames were coming out of that air grill. I grabbed a bottle of water and put it out saving my car. I now have no heat or a/c, no head lights and no interior lights. Those are just some of the wires that i do remember that got burned in the fire.

Now my story is a little bit different well prob. alot different but still, any info into this prob would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
i had a problem with some aftermarket bulbs one time. they melted the wires that go to the bulbs!!!

i replaced some of the wire and clips that were melted and put the stock bulbs back in...its been fine for over a year now.

G

·
Well my aftermarket bulbs (cheap APCs) cost me 600 dollars in damage in the wiring system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My AC/HEAT red wire that goes from the fuse box inside the car is burning up. Every time I start my AC the red wire gets really hot and some of the plastic melted next to the fuse box. (If you look under your dash at the fuse box, in the back is a thick red wire by itself).
The shop tells me its a buildup in resistance somewhere. I need to got to the dealer but never had a chance. Hopefully my car will catch on fire till them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea i had what Nemesis had some cheap APC's in. But damn I cant believe that those bulbs would set my whole wiring harness on fire like that!?! And na I never did the recall on the battery. But when i first smelled the burning plastic my lights werent on! But the second time they were.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.