New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You're really into the CF aren't you? Just messing. I know a lot of people have done it so they can paint it outside of the car. You have to be really careful because you don't want your airbag to deploy. You have to unhook your battery negative 15-30 minutes prior to taking the cover off. If you do a search for "airbag" in the archived messages you should find a how-to.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Really easy:

1. Disconnect the battery for about 15-20 minutes. (Book/reference says 1 minute, but better safe than sorry)
2. Turn the steering wheel to the left as far as you can (about 90 degrees) and remove the two torx screws exposed on the backside.
3. Turn the steering wheel to the right as far as you can and repeat #2.
4. Pull the cover off, and disconnect the airbag electrical connector.

If you would want to remove your steering wheel, it's just the center bolt, and disconnect the electrical connection, and it's all done :)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The passenger side aribag is easier than the driver side. The driver side is a pain because the star bolt is hard to see and hard to get to.

1. Disconnect battery and let sit to discharge the excess power in wires.
2. Drink a beer
3. Remove Glove box.
4. Drink a beer.
5. Remove the heater vent tube (pulls out)
6. Drink a beer.
7. Disconnect plug into airbag.
8. Drink a beer.
9. Unbolt airbag.
10. Drink a beer.
11. Unbolt Airbag flap (lift out from top)
12. Drink a beer and hope u don't get in a wreck cause u just screwed your passenger.

Pretty simple.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I meant you screwed your passenger if you leave it out.

It should still be functional when you put it back on. If you are leaving it in, I would not unhook the wires just to be safe. You can just set the airbag aside and continue. Make sure you battery is disconnected because you could accidentally set the airbag off. I replaced both my airbags, clock sensor, and impact sensor (similiar to clock but under the dash on driver side) with no problems at all. I haven't tested the airbag deployment yet and hope I won't have to, but I am sure they will deploy. When you turn your key on the system runs an airbag check (flashing light on dash). If there is a problem they light stays on (such after deployment). The system could also think there was a crash from a break in the circuit (disconnected wires) and cause deployment. I drove for 4-6 months with two deployed airbags before I finally fixed it.

I am not positive if it is true, but the cover is not really paintable. The surface is different from the hard plastic that most people paint and normal paint will chip off it. I wanted to paint my whole dash laser red but the texture is not paintable. You can try it though and see what happens. I would try it on a hidden part of the dash or door panel first, or take it to a paint shop and see what they say.

Edit: If you have a ford repair cd check out dash removal. I can get u one by the way. You can remove your whole dash whithin 4 hrs and have it painted and reinstalled. I think the way most people are painting their dash looks odd. Kinda like a cockpit look. If the whole dash was one color it would look better. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ok u can un plug the wires to the air bag. I work at the h2 plant making the new hummers and we put in the air bags in. You can un plug and remove them and replug them in. You should be ok but do all of the other things too. u do not won't any power going to it . a shock can set them off but we have dropped them on the floor. no problem but i wound not drop it hope i helped.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I know this thread is 5 years old but I'd like some addional info on the subject. I will be removing my passengers side airbag cover to replace it with the 4 gauge pod cover.

I just want to verify that the airbag should not deploy once the battery has been disconected for a few minutes. Also, will the airbag trouble light stay on once the airbag has removed and the car is running?

·
Registered
540 Posts
lol nice bump :rofl: but when i did mine all i did was pulled the airbag fuse, that made it alot easier and didnt mess with my presets or clock, and yes the light will always flash unless you have the airbag plugged in and in working order

·
Registered
859 Posts
wow I never knew that the plastic cover can affect the airbag... I would've just taken it off without even thinking it can deploy hahah... fun.... =))

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The passenger side aribag is easier than the driver side. The driver side is a pain because the star bolt is hard to see and hard to get to.

1. Disconnect battery and let sit to discharge the excess power in wires.
2. Drink a beer
3. Remove Glove box.
4. Drink a beer.
5. Remove the heater vent tube (pulls out)
6. Drink a beer.
7. Disconnect plug into airbag.
8. Drink a beer.
9. Unbolt airbag.
10. Drink a beer.
11. Unbolt Airbag flap (lift out from top)
12. Drink a beer and hope u don't get in a wreck cause u just screwed your passenger.

Pretty simple.
I got lost around step 6, so I just repeated the even numbered steps right? or wrong?

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
lol nice bump :rofl: but when i did mine all i did was pulled the airbag fuse, that made it alot easier and didnt mess with my presets or clock, and yes the light will always flash unless you have the airbag plugged in and in working order
BAD!

the airbag holds it own 'charge' and can still deploy

you disconnect the NEGATIVE battery terminal.

you can then remove the airbag.

its WHEN YOU PLUG IT BACK IN YOU RUN THE RISK OF IT GOING OFF. I forget the exact figure but make sure the battery has been disconnected for 40 minutes BEFORE YOU PLUG THE AIRBAG BACK IN.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.