New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Painting either the 3 knobs (heat/ac) or the 4 buttons (defrost) located above cd player?

Post pics.

Just curious to whether paint would get into the inner workings and interfere with their functions.

Thanks to all who post.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you are wanting to paint the knobs, they pull off and if you are wanting to paint the buttons they all come off too. So does the cover for the HVAC part that has the 1,2,3 and the settings. So it will all come apart. I have seen a few of the knobs on the HVAC painted.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
yeah... the knobs are as easy as painting everything else :)

as i replied to you in your PM (but i might as well post here to for future reference) just pull them off, sand, prime, sand, paint, clearcoat and push them right back on.
If you've never removed them before, they might be a little "stiff" so get a good grip on them. believe it or not, rubber dishwashing gloves are excellent for added grip

- the headlights / foglights knob dial thing does NOT pop off, so do NOT try to pull that one out the same way :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha i love the feeling you get after you ask a stupid question. i had no idea they pulled off...here i am with 1mm pieces of tape going all around the knobs,..prepping for paint...could have saved me an hours worth of work.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all 99' knobs pull off with the exception of headlight dimmer knob???

mine are being stubborn...do you suggest just prying up with a screwdriver on each knob?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
I think Dv6 has his done like the way you are talking about?
si, captain :)

now i realise that my dash looks horrible there, missing ashtray (which broke, lol), dusty as a mofo and lots else. I was in the progress of working on my car majorly when I got stuck overseas and I haven't seen my car in a like a year and half, so that's why it's sloppy looking :)

now, i did the knobs along time ago, before I did the red dash. I should have done red and yellow, everyone says it looks like Mc Donalds (ketchup and mustard) :rofl:

I will be fixing this when I can get back to it. I have new plans for my dash and I have had them for a few years now, just never did it :(

anyway, good luck with your project.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats kick ass...

thx for the time of posting, i appreciate the pics....

i have everything out of my car except the cowl (part over gauges and around 3 vents) IM SCARED I WONT BE ABLE TO GET IT BACK IN!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.