New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is the only difference between the 1999 and 2000 injectors v6 harness just the injectors connections or is it something else. I've tried rewiring thr idle air control valve but it isn't working. I found a 2000 rerurnless injector harness but I want to make sure I know what's what before I buy.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,006 Posts
Returnless will have power to a fuel rail pressure sensor, where the return-style does not.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Yes the returnless car has extra wires for more sensors

·
Registered
363 Posts
Im
Talking about the 1999 vs 2000 years
Yes they are different. The front wiring plug is different between the years, the injector plugs are different, there is an O2 sensor plug on the front that’s different too.

So your car is a 99, is it an early or late 99. The late 99’s some where switched over depending on your build date. It’s on your drivers side door by the latch.

It would be easier on your part to get the right harness. Cougar and Contours of the same year share the same engine can be used except the SVT Contour ones (they will need re pined). So if you can’t find a cougar one you can look for a contour one.

I sometimes have wiring harness on hand but I don’t have any 99’s but I might go to one of my local yards and pick some up. But I’m not sure when that’ll be. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is a 5/22/1999 but has parts from later dates as well. The fuel injectors I used are a beige like yellow and I also have a 3 hole flange for the exhaust

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Exhaust flange style was pretty random, probably tied to whoever supplied the built up powertrain modules.

May 99 is just before they switched over to 00 model year production, it should be returnless fuel system. One way to be absolutely sure is to check what injectors you have.

If it's a Jetronic EV1 style connector, it's return, if it's a USCAR EV6 style connector, it's returnLESS.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Easier way is just count the number of fuel lines going to your fuel rail. If you have 2 its return. If you have 1 its returnless. Fuel lines are way easier to see wiithout taking anything apart

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,006 Posts
I've also noticed that all Return cars I've seen have a cast-aluminum MAF housing, while the Returnless models have a black plastic one. Totally un-scientific, but I've never seen anything that proves me wrong on that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Another way is to look at your fuse box in the engine bay. If it has a metal clip on top it’s a 99 and return style and if it’s all plastic than it’s an early 00 and return less. 00-02 are automatically returnless.

Picture is of a 99 and under (Return style)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Its an ev6 fuel injector
If it’s Ev6 than it’s the returnless fuel system but will only have 1 fuel line coming in.

If you have a returnless fuel system I have injector harness wiring that I replaced the Ev6 plugs on them due to the clips breaking when they were removed from the cars. I’ll have to look at which 00 ones I have if your interested. The 01-02’s won’t work as they have different plugs especially for the coil pack and the O2 sensor is by the IRMC.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I saw this on ebay so that's cool if I cab make it work
Just to make sure what year you have, what’s the build date on your drivers side door. I saw a 00 have 8/99 on it so someone may think it was a 99 but actually it was a 00. Ford built cars in the year before. Some 99’s were built in 2/98 and actually they don’t have 98’s but only in Europe and other countries just not in the USA.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I saw this on ebay so that's cool if I cab make it work
If we find out what you actually have I can make you a deal instead of going through eBay as they charge me 12.9% + $.30 in fees. I would accept PayPal as a form of payment. Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was wrong the date built was 7/20/1999. I don't know where I came up with the first date but oh well.
It could still be a 2000. How is it titled on your title. That build date could be an early one. If you have Ev6 than it’s a 2000. Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Title says 99 but a do think it's the same, I have so many parts from a 2000 from factory a d I think my cougar was a transition from a 1999 to a 2000 and it's definitely an ev6. If you can will you set it aside for me and I'll buy it tuesday..If you have an email you can send me your PayPal link there and you can also send the new price for the harness instead of going through ebay

1 - 20 of 23 Posts