5. Checked Throttle body and is seated fine
6. There are no CEL's
7. Removed battery for 5 mins clear ECU & Flashed to stock tune
8. Scratched head, asked for your help. :banghead:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Re: Hanging RPM's

Excellent video! That is the first one I have seen of this problem. I have read about several people having this issue and members just blow it off as normal hang or needing a new IACV.... My car had this problem for a long time, about two years. I also did the steps you took and the rev's would stay high.

I have a manual and after accelerating a little I could push the clutch in and the revs would go up (if below) or down (if above) and sit around 3k like you. It was so bad coming to a stop sign sounding like I was about to race launch off it! It seems I wrote a post about this describing it more but it didn't always do it. The temperature made a difference. The engine needed to be warm, ie. it wouldn't do it for a few minutes after startup. Mine also resumed a normal idle as soon as I stopped.

I "fixed" the problem eventually by putting a copper cap into the IACV line to keep the revs down. Not the right way but no one could tell me the correct method of solving this problem. A few days ago I took the top half apart and cleaned some stuff. I figured I would try it w/o the cap for a little. On my first drive it wanted to hang but it hung around 2k this time around. After I got back, I put the cap in and went for another drive... problem fixed.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts

Mine will do that from time to time, and I already have a throttle hang cap installed (it was one of the first things I ever did to the car, way back in 2002). It's not consistent and not repeatable, so I just let it go. Usually if it's hanging, and I pop the throttle real quick, it will let go.

If it consistently did it all the time, I'd fix it.

·
Registered
292 Posts

I think mine would do it more often than not... A very hard blip of the throttle would solve it for a few minutes but it came back. It's a problem for off throttle steering as the car didn't transfer weight forward. I use off throttle a lot to make the FWD turn in better and this TOTALLY kills that ability. :( It was actually dangerous on a few occasions where I was counting on the revs dropping and instead the car pulled itself forward. The cap is the solution though.

When I first put the cap in I noticed two things:

1. The revs would no longer stay at the 3k mark. The idle was also normal.

2. Off throttle was much stronger with the cap in place. W/o the cap off throttle didn't provide any resistance, the car would keep rolling forever like the cruise was on. With the cap when you let off the gas the engine slows the car much better.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sounds like I'm installing the cap tonight. lol Yeah it is not convenient to drive in traffic with the car at 3k Rpms. I had an old lady looking at me at a red light. Made me feel like a real poser. :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

Is this in the MTX? i know thats what the sig says but since you bought an atx computer from me i just wondered.

When i did my mtx swap, it was reving by itself and holding on to the rev's when i pushed the clutch, and wouldnt go down until the car stopped moving. Wade told me to unhook the battery cables for about 20 minutes, hook em back up, and let the car idle for about 20 minutes with out touching the gas pedal. That way the computer can relearn the idle. It worked for me.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

No it has the MTX ecu. The Ecu i got from you was for the silver frost rebuild. :) It just started doing this out of the blue. I never had a problem before

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

So this is on the blue mtx? Try what i said. It had worked for me, and hasnt hung onto the revs since then.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have my ECU flashed. When you un-flash the ecu it wipes all data stored on it. I also tried the disconnect the battery trick. All i can figure is that maybe the car is getting extra air from somewhere. But see as i am not the fist person to confirm that this is an issue i took the time to make a vid of it. It has to do with the car under load it does not do this at idle or when the car is parked. Only when the MPH is above 0 does it peg to 3k RPM's.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

Mine would stay around 1k at idle. Then while i was driving it was fine, and when i hit the clutch and let off the gas it would run up to around 3k and stay there, and slowly come down as i stopped.

·
Administrator
11,458 Posts

Mine's done something similar for the past 2 years. When I occasionally start it up the revs will hang for a few seconds anywhere between 1,200-2,300 rpms. Once I put it in gear, but don't touch the throttle, it backs down. This behavior is usually followed later by the car not wanting to turn over. Cranks fine but acts like it's not getting gas. I'll have to pump the gas a few times before it kicks on, revs high, smells rich and then behaves.

I'm assuming a fuel issue on my end. Factory injectors still and it's been a while since I've done the fuel filter.

EDIT:

I used to have the throttle hang fix installed (the cap you mention) and took it out to see if this fixed it. It didn't.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ha Ha Ha Bumble Jarad! Nice

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

Just when i thought i'd never be exposed again....kids these days get the best toys, as for your idle issue, no idea

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Fixed the problem.

1. Changed the EGR Vacuum Solenoid
2. Changed EGR Valve

Started the car let her idle for about 5 mins took it for a ride. No more Hang

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for watching.
1. Checked for Vacuum leaks
2. Changed Idle Air Controller.
3. Checked and cleaned EGR
4. Removed upper intake check secondaries
5. Checked Throttle body and is seated fine
6. There are no CEL's
7. Removed battery for 5 mins clear ECU & Flashed to stock tune
8. Scratched head, asked for your help. :banghead:

What do you mean by a copper cap? I am confused because my cougar is doing the same thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts