New Cougar Forum banner

Haha Ebay Cougar fake milage

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Zalec 
#1 ·
Look how they show milage that is obviously from some other car's dash.
LINKY

#2 ·
that is pretty lame... at least pput in some effort if you are going to lie

#3 ·
I reported the person to eBay by sending the following email to their Fraud Department :)
DEFINITE FRAUD ALERT!

This item claims milage on the vehicle represented, then displays an image of a tripometer gauge that is not from that car's year/make/model. I should know, I run a community of 6500+ 1999-2002 Mercury Cougar Owners/Enthusiast. This is outright milage fraud! The milage readout on the 1999-2002 Mercury Cougar is a digital display, which can be viewed here:

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//2/7/220//.large/mvc065f.jpg

The individual in question has post pictures of an analog gauge showing the same milage that is represented in the item description. Also notice that this is this individual's first item being sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6339&item=2448335702

#4 ·
Wow, he sure likes to emphasize those airbags:
2 Air Bags
Drivers Side Airbag
Passenger Side Airbags

Um...i thought every car came with one of these?!
Inside Hood Release

Was there an option to have all three of these?
6 disc CD changer
CD Player
In Dash Cassette

#6 ·
Originally posted by: Pyro81

Was there an option to have all three of these?
6 disc CD changer
CD Player
In Dash Cassette
I have a '99 with the premium system, and there was no CD player in the front console. It had an AM/FM radio (of course), a tape deck, and the controls for the 6-disc changer in the trunk. Would have been nice to have a CD player up front.

#7 ·
I just called the phone number in the listing to inform them of their discretion and my report to eBay. The guy I talked to seemed a little rattled with a response of
"<pause> ..... And how do you know that?"
My repsonse
"I run a community of 99-02 Cougar enthusiasts, have owned a 99 and pulled the engine/transmissions on these cars before and know the car like the back of my hand."
I then continued with
"I just wanted to give you a heads up to either correct the listing or pull the listing because I have made eBay aware the possible odometer fraud taking place in this listing."
He replied
"Thanks, I will let Clint and Ron know."
I wonder if either one of them will call me back ... I wonder if they have caller ID? Not worried, just curious ... it's hard to track a cell phone's location unless you work for the government. Now I'm off to change my profile settings for the board :)

#8 ·
The email they wrote back to me:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest. I'm sorry about the confusion, it was my mistake. I listed several cars and I accidentally put the wrong picture in the auction. The reason was the other car had basically the same milage. The actual milage is 57631. This is about 100 miles less than the odometer picture, that is why I got confused. If you really need a picture, I can go get one, but I am not at the car lot, I run the auctions for them and I live a bit away. So let me know if you absolutely must have a picture and I will get one for you.

Thanks, and once again sorry and happy holidays!

-- Just thought everyone might want to know! :biggrin:

#11 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Dec-17-03 at 11:28:26 PST, seller added the following information:
Sorry for any confusion, the picture of the odometer is a mistake, I will try to fix it shortly. So everyone is aware, the actual milage is 57631.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Dec-17-03 at 13:00:22 PST, seller added the following information:
The correct picture of the odometer is now in the auction. Sorry for any confusion. Happy Holidays

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.