New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Has anyone ever tried a h6 size battery in a cougar? My neighbor gave my son a 2001 v6 cougar that needs a battery. It has a 40r,but getting one locally is expensive for even a "turd" battery. It looks like a h6 is about 3/4 of an inch taller and more ca/cca.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My battery is much much smaller than stock, but I have a parts car that confirms replacing the stock battery holder with a ratchet strap is enough height difference to dent the hood very noticeably. I wouldn't try it.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Yeah... Not the greatest idea, but I'd bought the car without any hold down and for years the battery was just loose in the engine bay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to measure one at sams club tomorrow. I hope I can make it work, because some websites say the h6 is 5/8 taller. If not no loss because I can take it back and get the 40r. I put some 8" 2x4 in the battery box and it didn't hit the hood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: an h6 group size battery does fit, and the hood closes with no problem. The h6 is 3/8 of an inch taller on the Duracell brand battery. I'm not going to use the oem battery hold down, as it is tall in the middle of the hold down. I'm going to fabricate one from either a wide piece of thick galvanized banding or a piece of flat stock steel. If you all want to go with this size battery my best advice is to measure measure and measure again!
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive design

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Auto part

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
My last battery was large like that. I dont remember what size it was, but the factory hold down still worked. I remember being surprised at the size difference when I swapped my current battery in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After posting the pictures, I went back out into the garage and put the factory hold down on. I closed the hood and it cleared. Of course I didn't let the hood slam shut,so I don't know if it would hit if you do a drop shut...

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,812 Posts
Sit some play-doh or something on the top of the hold-down, and see how far it smashes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts