New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The springs came in yesterday and I'm a little wary about something here.

According to the sheet that came with the springs, the Contour bump stops get trimmed, but the Cougar does not. I've done spring swaps on two Contours, and am surprised that with an identical suspension, the Cougar would be treated differently. I even called H&R and they confirmed that the bump stops do not get cut in this application.

So have any of you H&R owners cut or not cut yours? I'm gonna hate having to pull these back out cause they needed to be trimmed after all. (And yes, new struts are going in at the same time.)

Hoping to install them this weekend!
Dan

P.S. I got them from morepoweracing.com for $239 shipped. Came a week after the order and they were great with emails letting me know how things were coming along.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I don't have H&R springs, but no one else has replied, so I'll lend an ear.

I installed Koni struts and GC Coils last month and I cut the bumpstop on mine. I can't see the two setups being that different. I dunno. Maybe it doesn't matter one way or another. Goodluck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I would expect the cutting would be called for on the GC's just because they can be set so much lower.

As it is, I installed them today and opted to leave the bumpstops uncut. We'll see whether I end up regretting that.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Well, if thats what the directions said, I would of left the bumpstops alone. I think you made the smart choice because once you cut, you can't go back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhhh! Thanks for the feedback, Fern! I bought the same struts and am so far very impressed with the improved smoothness they offer. No opinion yet on the handling changes, other than to say that the hobbyhorsing has been greatly reduced and the back end feels light enough that I may end up switching back to stock from the AussieBar.

Cheers!
Dan

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
sorry just now reading this. I have H&R's installed on ST200 struts and I did cut the bump stops. Haven't noticed any negative effects from cutting them everything works well, so it looks like either way will work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts