New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had posted about these a while back, and have since been in the process of making these kits available for the 2.5L Mercury Cougar and Ford Contour engines. We can't release many details at this point, but will answer any questions to the best of our ability.

Basically the kits will include the following items:

- H-Beam 4340 Forged Chromoly Connecting Rods
- Forged Aluminum Pistons (Available in 3 different compressions: 8.5:1, 9.5:1, 11:1)
- 3/8" or 7/16" ARP 2000 Rod Bolts
- Piston Rings and Rod Bearings

Questions you may be asking yourself:

Q: How Much will these kits cost?
A: We have not determined a final cost, but these kits will retail around $1300. There will be an introductory Group Buy for 8-10 Kits when they are ready and in our hands.

Q: How much power will these kits be able to handle?
A: These kits will handle around 1000hp, however, we do not have a solid number yet.

Q: What bores will be available for the pistons?
A: We will offer a standard .030" rebuild overbore, but custom pistons will be available at an additional cost.

Q: Aside from ordering custom piston bores, can we order custom compression ratios?
A: This will most likely be an option, but will considerably increase shipping wait time and there will be an additional fee for both services.

What do you guys think?

--Adam

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SCAT Crankshafts will the manufacturing the connecting rods, we have yet to settle with a piston manufacturer, but will update everyone with that information when it becomes available.

--Adam

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
why would custom piston bores or compression ratios increase shipping costs? you're not putting them in any larger of a box. and they probably weigh nearly the same. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There will not be an increased shipping cost, but an additional fee for custom pistons. The extra fee is charged to us by the piston manufacturer's and will not carry any markup, simply passed to the customer.

--Adam

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Originally posted by: GForceAuto
We had posted about these a while back, and have since been in the process of making these kits available for the 2.5L Mercury Cougar and Ford Contour engines. We can't release many details at this point, but will answer any questions to the best of our ability.

Basically the kits will include the following items:

- H-Beam 4340 Forged Chromoly Connecting Rods
- Forged Aluminum Pistons (Available in 3 different compressions: 8.5:1, 9.5:1, 11:1)
- 3/8" or 7/16" ARP 2000 Rod Bolts
- Piston Rings and Rod Bearings

Questions you may be asking yourself:

Q: How Much will these kits cost?
A: We have not determined a final cost, but these kits will retail around $1300. There will be an introductory Group Buy for 8-10 Kits when they are ready and in our hands.

Q: How much power will these kits be able to handle?
A: These kits will handle around 1000hp, however, we do not have a solid number yet.

Q: What bores will be available for the pistons?
A: We will offer a standard .030" rebuild overbore, but custom pistons will be available at an additional cost.

Q: Aside from ordering custom piston bores, can we order custom compression ratios?
A: This will most likely be an option, but will considerably increase shipping costs and there will be an additional fee for both services.

What do you guys think?

--Adam

ov3n got it from your post when you said it in the last Q&A. Just to clarify what you wrote. LOL

A: This will most likely be an option, but will considerably increase SHIPPING COSTS and there will be an additional fee for both services

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh haha, my bad......let me fix that. It's supposed to be shipping times, sorry guys.

--Adam

·
Registered
485 Posts
By buying an 11:1 compression ratio kit, would that directly increase horsepower and be better if your going to run an N/A setup?

I'm assuming that the lower compression ones would be for forced induction and decrease horsepower unless boosted, since our stock compression is 9.7:1, correct???

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Cossack:

Incorrect! Stock 2.5L compression is 9.7:1. You only get >11:1 if you build a 3L hybrid. 11.2:1 is the natural compression ratio of an "unadulterated" hybrid.

Where the hell is my FAQ???!!! :mad:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Higher compression ratio is a mixed blessing. A higher CR with an N/A engine will usually make more power than a lower compression version of the same motor. F/I engines need a LOWER compression ratio because you're stuffing more air per unit of volume into the cylinders under boost. This means that you've effectively temporarily increased your compression ratio (and displacement) - The beauty of F/I!

Now the mixed blessing part- Higher CR N/A engines can't be boosted safely, whereas low compression N/A motors are usually turds (the mid-70s 7.6:1 400ci Pontiac comes to mind...).

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Also, from what was explained to me... high compression works well with nitrous.

As quoted from Trevor...

"Nitrous and high compression work well together if tuned properly. I would however NOT go over 11:1 without a GREAT tune. "off the shelf" tune should be good up to 11:1, but she needs to get on a dyno to see what the air/fuel is running OFF the nitrous and then run again OFF the nitrous, but with the nitrous setting. ANYTHING over a 75 shot needs to retard timing 2-3 degrees for every 50-75 shot. So, I would make sure to get a flip chip with a normal tune for 11:1 N/A and a "juice" tune which would retard timing. I would get the chip from a reputable tuner IN YOUR AREA who can do the tuning on the dyno ... that is the only way to do it properly. I wouldn't in a million years be sending a chip back and forth through the mail to get this tune nailed down ... dyno time is imparitive."

Keep that in mind. Coogah and I will be getting 11:1 pistons with matching rods for our beasts.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, bear in mind that 11:1 compression would require at the very MINIMUM premium unleaded gasoline (91+ ocatane). I also wouldn't recommend anything but wet nitrous systems for anything over 10:1 compression.

--Adam

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
whats the info on this man

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We have decided to go with Wiseco as out Piston manufacturer. We are still looking into the 3L application as the rods are slightly different between the 2.5L and 3.0L.

Rods are still in production, we are currently shooting for a September release date and will keep everyone up to date on this.

--Adam

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I WANT MY KIT NOW .... i possibly will have a 3L soon or after my next deployment

blam da blam black betty

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.