New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got off work early and instead of coming home and dealing with my little brother I decided to go onto are local highway which at night turns into a racing strip for all of us fast and furious wanna bes. Anyway heres the shocking part.....I'm driving around trying to see if my friends are out in full swing at our hang out and some guy in his mitsubishi diamante es 4 door. I really dont know to much about them cars but neway he came next to me n just rolled down his window n said u wanna run? I was like um sure why not.
I have an automatic v6 with a K&N air filter lol so I wasn't sure what to expect for i dont race my car that much due to the lack of horsepower lost through the automatic transmission. So he did the count down and we went, we were door to door but the top end of the cougar was really good and i def pulled. It was a dead even rolling start from about 20 mph...... It was door to door for about 2 seconds then thats when i started to pull and oncei got ahead and kept going i finally backed off. slowed down n he then asked what all i had done, i told him just exterior mods and that air filter.
so he said 1 more time i was like ok. you know just to see if it was a fluke. Well same results this time even more of a pull so afterwards he asked if i wanted to chill at mcdonalds so he can check out my ride. So we did his diamante was nice and the euro lights didnt look at bad on his but neway he told me he had 210 horsepower. I seriously doubted it but he popped the hood and he had this huge 3.5 liter. SO i looked it up the es version 3.5 and it says 210. But i only have 170.....our cars appear to be the same size.......he also had an automatic but i dunno.....whats the deal guys?

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I think the main thing is the weight.. the Diamante weighs in at a curb weight of about 3500 lbs, and ours is at 2900.. That's a 600 lb difference. They say that adding 100lbs is the same as losing 10hp(I think).. So going with that, it shows why your cougar won.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow i never really took that into consideration. I figured that since he was good size car too it would be close....but i forgot about the whole it being a sedan thing.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The cougar only weighs 2900 pounds. I thought it was more than that.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Just going by what edmunds.com says..

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Go Zetec weight 2849!

·
Registered
404 Posts
According to this road test you did pretty good against it. Motorweek Diamante review

It could be that the car wasn't well taken care of. In the end a win is a win. Good kill. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, see thats what i thought, i mean maybe he was using low octane n not a lot of gas and his air filter was dirty or something. i just got done getting my oil changed(valvoline snythetic) n cleaned off the K&N real good, so maybe a combo of both

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Huge 3.5 Liter :rofl:

J/K Good Kill with the ATX.... those cars are quick for family sedans.

At CougarFest, I was in a buddy of mine's Cougar (who shall remain nameless) when we had a little unexpected street race with a Diamante. To be fair, there were 3 people in the Cougar vs. just 1 in the Diamante... but a certain lightly modded V6 MTX 35th Anniversary Cougar got owned

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well your right the engine isnt huge...but it seemed like it took up a lot of space, like under our hood, the engine takes up a lot of the space. i guess it just made it look big to me

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
well edmunds has the Diamante's 0-60mph at 8.3sec, and the Cougar at 7.8. I'm surprised too cuz the mitsu has 231ft-lbs. torque, vs. our 165.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well guys i really dont know what to tell u, i wish i would of had a video camera or something.... maybe if another person were to race an automatic in their automatic rolling from 20mph n see what happens we could compare results?

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Weight is the key. HP/tq cant always pull a heavy *****. Tq is important when conserning weight, but it seems in this case it wasnt enough, Plus the ATX cougar's strong point is the top end highways runs.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
Weight is the key. HP/tq cant always pull a heavy *****. Tq is important when conserning weight, but it seems in this case it wasnt enough, Plus the ATX cougar's strong point is the top end highways runs.
True. One time I raced a V6 'stand from a red light. He got maybe 1/2 a car length in front of me, and we stayed that way the entire time, until we hit about 70 then I began to pull and passed him up easily.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts