New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Timmah
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I tried doing a search for this and didn't find any answers. I know there is a difference in the y-pipe, but am I going to run into a problem with the o2's? I heard that the 01-02's have fewer o2 sensors. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yeah, 01-02 bastards...

·
Timmah
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by: BleedBlue81
Originally posted by: CATerina
Only difference is you dont need MIL Eliminators.
NO KIDDING??? ARGH! Well, Tim...guess you can just give those to a local person with a 99 or 00!

We're doin yours too, right Kyle?

G

·
got a news flash for you all, I gutted my pre cats today and then at fifty miles i got a check engine light . and its a 2001 with only 3 o2 sensors. so ill be looking for mils soon!

MY 01 COUGAR

G

·
Originally posted by: Fett
That may have something to do with your ghetto engineering exhaust.
let me see, dyno max muffler, 2 feet of pipe and a tip. sounds like any other after market kit to me , well all but the price , since it only cost me 45 bucks. and its all welded, no leaks, no clamps. ghetto, No! less expensive than your exhaust, yeah ! if flashing money is your thing than knock your self out , but im on a budget and running a house hold . so this will do very well.
any way i pulled the code and it was the low voltage code. i rest it and ill see what happens, figured it was the o2 cause it came on at about 50 miles. ill see if it comes on again im at 42 miles now!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Not cheaper than my exhaust....mine was free. Of course it's stock...so technically it cost me $16k. Hrmmm, I will have to think about that.

·
Timmah
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I am doing it this weekend. With losing the upper cats does this mean that the primary cat will wear out/clog sooner?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
In theory it would, but there are a lot of people running around with gutted cats/headers and have not had any problems as of yet.

G

·
well, CEL kept coming on at 25-60 miles . I went to auto zone and here in md they still do the free trouble code reading. it came up with catalyst below thresh hold , and it was on the front bank. Im really starting to agree with the idea that i hit the o2 sensor while gutting it, since I was working through the small hole you drill per the how to , and I did it with out removing them . I did find that you can stick a mini mag light in the flange opening and look in the drill hole and see the inside of the pre cat just fine while cleaning it out. might be a good idea to remove at least the front o2 before gutting, so you don't get the cel. a new o2 sensor is 41 bucks so , ill know soon enough, it seems to run fine thoughand gas milage increased 2-3 mpg. def, more punch , you can realy feel it above 4500rpm.

And Im not sure , but I think that as long as your engine is in good shape (rings-valve seals) and good tune , it should run clean enough that you cat should be fine for a very long time , espesualy if its run hard, to get it good and hot.

MY 01 COUGAR (GHETTO EXHAUST AND ALL....LOL)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
you most likely hit the O2 sensor when gutting it.....get that replaced and the problem should go away....

when gutting your precats watch out for the o2 sensor...it's easy to get lazy and knock it a few times :)

G

·
NOPE ,still there . I replaced it last night and reset the computer, it came back on to day, would it make a deference that my main cat is gutted , not herd any one mention that?

MY 01 COUGAR

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: cain
NOPE ,still there . I replaced it last night and reset the computer, it came back on to day, would it make a deference that my main cat is gutted , not herd any one mention that?
You gutted your precats, AND your main cat? I suppose you just happened to neglect all of the posts on the forum saying not to do that... could very well be your problem.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.