New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gutting Pre Cats

Hey I'm pretty new to NECO and Keystone. I live in the Wexfod/Cranberry area. Anyways, I def. want to do the gutting the precats mod except I lack the tools and know how to do so. So I was wondering if any fellow Keystone members in my area have done this mod and could help me( basically do it for me). I can threw in some cash if anyone is willing to help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
RE: Gutting Pre Cats

To my knowledge, not many or any from Keystone have done this. It is something I have thought about myself though so it will be interesting to hear what responses come out of it.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts

i should have it done after next weekend. However i live completely on the other side of Pittsburgh from you, but maybe could help in the spring/early summer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

PM me and let me know how it goes with yours. And if you could help me out that would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts

Well, the precats are gutted, the Cougar's sounding mean and feeling like it picked up about 10 or so horses.

i can do this now no problem... spring's fine. :)

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts

GO Don :banana::banana::banana: GO Don

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Awesome man. Definitley send me a Pm or an IM at Lopez3027 if you can help me in the spring. Obviously whenever is convenient for you. Good work. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I was talking to my friend about gutting precats and this is what he said to me:
1. pollutes air
2. leaves black stuff on you bumper after a few months.
3. backfires sometimes
4. smells like ass when ur behind a gutted car
5. Prob won't pass emissions.
(HE got all this info off of some integra site, I think it's TeamIntegra.net)

Can anyone that's done this help clear up some of these things for me. By that I mean, let me know if some of these things are true.
THANKS

·
Registered
3,104 Posts

ive heard the same. maybe don can fill us in, does your car smell like poop??

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts

I've been behind a car with gutted Primary Cats(on headers), on first start up there is an odor, but once its warm the engine runs pretty effeciently so its odor is not much different than normal. Granted if gutting your Primary Cats, you still have the secondary cat under the car.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Originally posted by: Cougar3027
I was talking to my friend about gutting precats and this is what he said to me:
1. pollutes air
2. leaves black stuff on you bumper after a few months.
3. backfires sometimes
4. smells like ass when ur behind a gutted car
5. Prob won't pass emissions.
(HE got all this info off of some integra site, I think it's TeamIntegra.net)

Can anyone that's done this help clear up some of these things for me. By that I mean, let me know if some of these things are true.
THANKS
Integra's only have one cat to begin with and therefore if you gut the cats (on a integra) you'd have no cats at all. We have 3 cats on the Cougar. 2 pre-cats and 1 main cat downstream from the pre-cats. The cougar will pass emissions with gutted pre-cat you just have to drive around for 10 or 15 minutes to get the main cat nice and warm (about 800 or 900 degrees Fahrenheit)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I understand it will pass emissions if you get it warm, but you can drive your car around as long as you want and get it as warm as you want. But what happens if you drop your car off to be inspected and they're running behind an hour or so and your cat cools down. Unless I'm missing something here....wouldn't you not pass emissions then?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts

Yes... right now it smells like poop, but there are a few probable reasons for that...

-First and foremost, my catalytic converter is shot. In fact there were people complaining over the 2-way radios about the odor coming from it during the cruise at CF.

-Secondly, out of seven bolts taken to remove the y-pipe, i managed to snap three of them off, including both that connect the y-pipe to the catalytic converter. So... we had to improvise by drilling out the two bolts and using other bolts. The problem with them is that they don't pivot like the ones that were already in there. The third bolt that broke off came off the rear manifold. Due to time contraints i had to just use one bolt until i get a chance to fix it on Sunday or Monday. In other words, there may be some leaking at one of those two points. The build date of my car being 10/28/98 had to do with the ridiculously rusted bolts and the unfortunate breakage, even with liberal amounts of PB Blaster.

So, once i get my new Y-Pipe in the next few weeks i'll re-evaluate the situation.

As for the car being cold and not passing emissions, if it doesn't pass emissions the first time there is a procedure they go through to warm the car up... essentially taking the revs up to a certain level for like 5 minutes. By that time the car should be warmed up and will pass emissions.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts

Thanks for the info Don, as my build date is 7/21/98 so at least i can prepare for the bolts breaking ahead of time :beer:

·
Registered
4,959 Posts

Any time that i see a messed up bucket at work i take the handle, so i'll have plenty of "weapons of destruction" for gutted precats if anybody wants my help. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts