New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and looked through a bunch of threads...can i still gut my pre cats if i have headers?? I'm really stupid with this whole thing so any info would help...What are the benefits?? any disadvantages?? Thanks for the info:stupid:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The precats are your exhaust mainfolds. When you buy headers, they replace the precats. If you have headers, yes you can still gut your precats, but theres no point if theyre not even on the car:rofl:

EDIT: it says in your sig that you have headers, so that means you already removed the precats when they were installed, wow thats funny:rofl:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aahhhh alright.....instigator...i bought the car w/ headers already on it so i had no idea...but thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
while we're on this subject, anybody know the hp gains of precats versus the hp gains of real headers?

Mike

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
while we're on this subject, anybody know the hp gains of precats versus the hp gains of real headers?
Mike, I haven't seen any dyno numbers for the gutted precats that I can recall. I am guessing that the shorty exhaust manifold and the gutted precats would be similar. The edge would have to go to the headers because of the smoother bends, say a a maximum of 25% improvement over the gutted pipes.. like it is a guess.. hardly worth the expense for street applications in my opinion.
:cover:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Originally posted by: MrFroge
Mike, I haven't seen any dyno numbers for the gutted precats that I can recall. I am guessing that the shorty exhaust manifold and the gutted precats would be similar. The edge would have to go to the headers because of the smoother bends, say a a maximum of 25% improvement over the gutted pipes.. like it is a guess.. hardly worth the expense for street applications in my opinion.
:cover:

Very true!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Originally posted by: Instigator
The precats are your exhaust mainfolds. When you buy headers, they replace the precats. If you have headers, yes you can still gut your precats, but theres no point if theyre not even on the car:rofl:

EDIT: it says in your sig that you have headers, so that means you already removed the precats when they were installed, wow thats funny:rofl:
be nice mann he really didnt know

Originally posted by: MrFroge
;
about 7 hp

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Does that approx. 7hp difference reflect adding say a yodude (trubendz) Y-pipe or just gutting precats and stock pipe? We all know what a flaming piece of crap our stock Y-pipe is so if I were to say...gut my precats and get an aftermarket Y-pipe then would I be looking at maybe only half that difference? maybe 3hp difference over having the header/y-pipe combo? Anything that low (heck even 7hp) is well within the tollerable range for differences between motors. Heck, Back to back dynos change that much. Might be time for cheapo-headers. I'd love headers but at $600 or so the power just doesnt add up. Thats around $100/hp!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I recently read an article on the Sport Compact Car Magazine website that stated that gutting the catalytic converter can actually lower performance over leaving the cat alone!?

The theory is that the exhaust flowing into the large empty chamber of the gutted catalytic converter can cause enough flow turbulence to affect exhaust gas scavenging; there-by, actually hurting performance.

I'm guessing Sport Compact thinking of a "normal" undercar converter and not the somewhat uncommon converter/manifold setup used on our Cougars!? But still, the idea is still valid (I think).

Does this seem like it could be a problem with gutted Cougar precats?

To bad we don't have real Dyno numbers to prove this one way or the other.

Thoughts/experiences out there??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts