New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am getting the GMK CAI, have optimized the TB, and now I need to get that air out quicker as well. Exhaust looks and sounds cool, but doesn't offer the performance per dollar that I am looking for now. So I want headers next. Obviously gutting the precats will help a bunch, but how much will it help compared to just buying headers? The existing manifolds, headers, y-pipe, and precats look pretty freeflowing if I could get rid of all the crap in the precats. So my question is how much difference is there between $660 MSDS headers and gutting the precats for free?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Well with the headers you will not have the logs design, the headers are piped for each opening than into each other at the y-pipe. Headers as looks cooler! LOL Not like u can see the rear back.... :banana:

·
is a pop sensation
17,170 Posts
The problem with gutting the precats is that the expansion in the cat chamber reduces exhaust velocity, creating "backpressure". When I gutted mine, the butt dyno showed no noticeable gain.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So does anyone know how many hp/tq MSDS headers adds? I would think that the velocity couldn't get any slower through those precats, maybe did the y-pipe or cat-back exhaust need to be replaced to free up flow further down stream?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
Originally posted by: sonza68
The problem with gutting the precats is that the expansion in the cat chamber reduces exhaust velocity, creating "backpressure". When I gutted mine, the butt dyno showed no noticeable gain.
I hafta say, I DID notice a butt-dyno gain, but only at freeway speeds. I got a lot better "punch" from just stepping on the pedal in 5th without downshifting, compared to catted manifolds. Low end and launch feels the same.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i want to gut mine its just that i know its gonna be hard to get the bolts off, if its anything like the cat and exhaust bolts id have to break them to get em off and i dont want half of a bolt in my engine

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I've installed 6 sets of headers to cars from 6 months to 6 years old. No bolt has EVER broken off. Usually the stud comes out of the head, and the nut stays on the stud. It's not a trivial job, but it can be done. Alot yourself time, a long 3/8" extension, a 3/8" universal joint, a 13mm deepwell socket, and patience.

BTW- Get the headers. Gutting your cats, as sonza said, creates a lovely large chamber for exhaust gasses to expand, cool, and swirl around nicely without actually GOING anywhere. The MSDS header design (which Weapon-cRap copied) provides a shorty primary tube for each cylinder - Optimal for scavenging each cylinder as much as possible short of a set of long-tubes, but those haven't been made in years, and were $1,200 when they were made...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.