New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After winning the raffle I ordered the NX dry kit. I have a 2000, but I just read that you can't use a dry kit with returnless. Now pardon my ignorance but I don't recall which style I have. Return or returnless.

Also, assuming I have a return style, I just bought the Autolite App 764's 2 weeks ago but haven't installed them yet. But to confirm I need a copper core 2 step colder plug?

Which guages should I buy in order to monitor the nitrous? Air/fuel, fuel pressure?

And at what octane gas should I run with the 75 hp jets? 93?

Would I be safe with running the 93 octane and 2 step colder plugs?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Im not expert on nitrous, since i just got my NX kit Monday. I have been doing alot of search and you seem to be on the right track. Being a 2000 Cougar, you would definately have a returnless fuel system. I found this posted in another section by ZexCougar:"The dry kit wont work on returnless style. The wet kit works on both". You are correct about the spark plugs being 2 degres colder, however, you dont have to run copper. ZEX makes a good nitrous spark plug that i am sure you can get from www.duratecperformance.com. As far as gauges, Go with a N2O gauge. the A/F gauge is just a light show. If you want to be sure you dont run on too lean or too rich of conditions, invest in a A/F safety switch(avaliable at www.speedshop.org). Fuel pressure gauge is also important. Also, window switches are a great safety precaution. It will allow the nitrous to turn on once a certain RPM is reached, and shut off at a certain RPM(under WOT). This keeps you from running too close to the rev limited and blowing up the motor.

Added new information.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Topic on Return vs. Returnless: years are meaningless.

I've been running the stock motorcraft plugs for 5,000 miles with my supercharger and no problems. As long as it isn't precious metal spark plugs you'll be fine. You don't need to spend $5 / plug, just get the stock coppers. On the other hand, if you can spare the $30 for all 6 I don't think it will hurt. I'm just not a big believer in all the marketing around spark plugs lately. They all make a spark.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, I just went outside and checked. I only have 1 line, therefore i'm returnless. Thus the kit thats on it's way to me is useless????? Why can't U run the dry kit with a returnless setup? I don't understand that.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts