New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i got an intake for my b-day (yesterday), and just installed it tonight!! so of course i want to go take a ride and see how it sounds and feels...ya know?

so i go out, and my roads are covered in about 3/4" or so of snow. and im like, ok, the main roads will be better. right? wrong. they are about as equally as bad. i dont get over 35 mph. then i finally find a road that is partially cleared, so i floor it, but only for a second, so i can hear what it sounds like. and of course, some dumba** lady pulls out infront of me. so there goes my fun. so i turn around, so i can give it another go. i couldnt get enough the first time!!! it sounded sooooo beautiful!!! so once i get turned around, i look up, and theres a frickin salt truck!!! :mad:. for one, it was going to fling salt up onto my car, and 2nd of all...I WANT A SNOW DAY TOMARROW!!!!! and if the salt the roads, of course theres not going to be a snowday!!! GRRRRRR!!!!

sorry. had to vent.

oh, btw. i attached some pics of the new intake!

·
Registered
674 Posts
That's never good is it.....gotta love that sound though. Still snowin down here in the nasty nati :banana: Wait I only have classes on tuesday thursday, well I guess it's time to hit the bars or the slopes then :naughty: Last time it snowed one could find my friends and I on a snow tube 20 ft behind an xterra on interstate 275. The police dont like that one. I'll try to stay clean tongiht

·
5,274 Posts
Nice looking intake.

I forgot how long the intake pipe was on the Zetec... but you don't have any little hoses connecting to manifold or anything... so no emissions stuff in the intake?

So how's the four banger sound?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mark, what do you mean? im confused. but it sounds loud!!!

john, haha that would be a site to see.....

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Originally posted by: JAMallott
mark, what do you mean? im confused. but it sounds loud!!!
No MAF sensor or crankcase vents or IAT hoses or any of that crap to make it difficult...like the cursed V6.

·
5,274 Posts
Yea, what Andy said ;)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000 ...cursed V6.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

But yay for you Aaron :cool: I'm totally with you on this snow BS. If it never snowed again it would be too soon. Luckily my install day had no snow on the roads so I got to test it out. I spun the tires, but I'm pretty sure that was because of stones or salt or something. Downside, I can't hear the intake over the Yodude :(

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
I guess you do have a MAF sensor, but that's it.

Hey, don't those airbox studs come out of the throttle body? Are they threaded in there, or what? Cuz that looks weird...

Also, my Cougar SUCKS in snow. I almost slid into a curb last night; I would have except that there was a lot of chunky, icy snow piled up against it that slowed me down. But it was in the mail. And on the freeway, the back end slides around, and it dances all over the road. My Saturn with bald tires is much better off out there these days. Just thought I'd share.

But that said, it's fun doing handbrake turns into the driveway and around parking lots...woohoo!

·
5,274 Posts
What kind of rubber you got on the Cat, Andy? 'Cause my Cougar has always felt pretty good in the snow, with the Firehawk stock tires. You have a rear strut brace don't you? I've heard tightening up the rear end can make it livelier. I think Sled said he could tell the difference, and was leaving his ST200 loose for the winter.

I notice my soon-to-be-gone beater with the no-name front tires is pure crap in the slick and the slush (not bad in real snow tho), it wants to lock up RIGHT NOW, and mid-80's GM power brakes have zero brake feel, so you're pretty much pumping them blind.

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Originally posted by: LinkMan
What kind of rubber you got on the Cat, Andy? 'Cause my Cougar has always felt pretty good in the snow, with the Firehawk stock tires.
I am also running stock 16" Firestinks, 205-50. New ones, just installes last fall.

You have a rear strut brace don't you? I've heard tightening up the rear end can make it livelier. I think Sled said he could tell the difference, and was leaving his ST200 loose for the winter.
Excellent point...

I never considered that. Perhaps I'll crank it out and see if that changes anything. Because I never really had any complaints last winter - I just thought the roads were worse these days...

:stupid:

·
5,274 Posts
Excellent point... I never considered that.
Hopefully, that's what it is. I never would have thought of it either, if Sled hadn't experienced it. My first thought would have been that improving the handling is improving the handling, snow or no snow. :shrug:

Sorry for the hijack Aaron... Nice intake :)

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
I guess you do have a MAF sensor, but that's it.

Hey, don't those airbox studs come out of the throttle body? Are they threaded in there, or what? Cuz that looks weird...

Also, my Cougar SUCKS in snow. I almost slid into a curb last night; I would have except that there was a lot of chunky, icy snow piled up against it that slowed me down. But it was in the mail. And on the freeway, the back end slides around, and it dances all over the road. My Saturn with bald tires is much better off out there these days. Just thought I'd share.

But that said, it's fun doing handbrake turns into the driveway and around parking lots...woohoo!
well, i attached some pics of all that is running into the intake. i think the is an IAT, MAF, and one other tube thing (dont knw the name).

and i didnt try to get those studs out, but yeah, i should. they do look gawd aweful, and they might scratch the intake piping.

i slid into a curb yesterday!!! i made sure the tire hit it instead of the rim though lol.
i think my old tires were better in the snow, even though my new ones are all-season.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Surprisingly my coug has been running good in the snow...i still hate winter though. Granted i tend not to get on it when driving in bad road conditions.

That intake looks sweet Aaron! I need to get new pics of things that have been done to my car. But it's too damn cold!

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what all have you done recently? dont you now have a CAI? anything else?

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Cool intake man. Now slap an exhaust on the baby and you won't be able to hear the intake, but it'll breath so much better. I love how responsive my coug is compared to stock, well, as responsive as an auto gets.

Originally posted by: JohnnyRed
That's never good is it.....gotta love that sound though. Still snowin down here in the nasty nati :banana: Wait I only have classes on tuesday thursday, well I guess it's time to hit the bars or the slopes then :naughty: Last time it snowed one could find my friends and I on a snow tube 20 ft behind an xterra on interstate 275. The police dont like that one. I'll try to stay clean tongiht
Lol. Never would of that of going onto the interstate, that's way too crazy. Did that around my apartment parking lot though. The whole time we were trying to knock the people out though, so i guess it wouldn't work on the highway.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hopefully, that's what it is. I never would have thought of it either, if Sled hadn't experienced it. My first thought would have been that improving the handling is improving the handling, snow or no snow.
True, however, when you combine better tires in front then rear and a Roush rear sway bar (and Roush springs) and an ST200 RSTB you get a nice stiff back end and that stiff back end is much easier to toss around in the snow. I did have issues early in the snow season but dunno why. I currently have all crossmembers securely bolted back on and its not too bad. Actually the car has been much better than I anticipated. Might be that by moving a mere few miles to the west (and lower elevation) I dont see the same snowfall. My parents were more along the edge of the snow belt. They get inches more than I do here so that might explain the lack of problems this winter. Also my commute to work is like 10-15 minutes instead of 20-30. I need new struts badly though so that might be softening it up some.

Hmmmm, maybe I should go grab my 17's and Kumhos and see how they like the snow??? (yeah right)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts