New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I've owned my '99 Cougar (purchased back in 11/2003), the brakes have seemed a bit grindy. I had the front pads and rotors replaced because of rust (even though the service tech said the pads looked nearly new and the rotors looked freshly machined), and when I went to a different place to have the rear pads and rotors replaced in hopes of solving the grinding which still persisted after servicing the front brakes, they told me it was absolutely unnecessary because, again, the pads and rotors looked nearly new. They insisted that the "grinding" that I hear is because the brake pads that were installed during the last brake service are extremely hard ones. Well it's February now, and I think the grinding is getting a lot worse. In addition, the brakes squeal obnoxiously during braking now, whereas they never squealed even remotely as bad before.

Suggestions? :banghead:

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
Grinding is sometimes just a semi-metallic pad's natural sound. Possibly another compound would be quieter, but would wear out much faster.

Squeaking could be bad, or the pads could be just glazed.

I would pull the wheel(s) and have a look for myself. Check the surface of the rotor (should be smooth as glass); and feel the surface of the BACK SIDE of the rotor (should be equally smooth). If the rotors are grooved, the pads are either worn out prematurely, or not seated correctly.

If the rotors are smooth all around, I would think about replacing the pads. You can get pads for all around for about $35-40, and they are easy to change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts