New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I used "stucco mesh" from Home Depot (costs like $3.00 for a 4'x6' sheet) and replaced all the grills on the front of the car. (See "cosmetic" in the thread about grills as to how I did the lower grills). I attached the grill into the hood scoop by using black silicone (comes in an easy-to-use tube for about $3.00 at Pep Boys). I just put the grill in place and then squeezed the silicone all over the edges of the grill and gave it about an hour or two to set up properly. It has held up great and has been in place for about a year and a half now.
Let me know if you have any more questions,
Charles

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Aight here's what you do. If you look under the hood scoop, you'll see several small "rods" sticking out near the opening for the grill. Go to home depot, pick up a grill/mesh (it came with my hood scoop) and also go to the section where they sell washers and stuff like that, in the little packages. You have to look for these, i attached a pic cuz I don't know what the name is lol. It's some kind of lock fastener thing. Put the mesh over and through the rods, then push these things on top of them. Once you put them on you can't get them off without breaking them. Make sure you get the 1/8 size ones, they fit perfectly.

Mike

·
Registered
244 Posts
I used fiberglass to put in my mesh.

I also used "The Home Depot Special" and sheets of mesh. I did not paint them because they looked like they were silver enough. I did not have the forsight to think of rust........? Did anyone have this problem?

JOE

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Actually, those 4 pins / rods sticking up are for heat staking. Once you put your grill / mesh over those 4 holes, you use a soldering iron ( preferably with a heat stake tip but it's not required if you're good ) simply melt or "stake" them down and your grill is secured. No extra parts needed.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Actually, those 4 pins / rods sticking up are for heat staking. Once you put your grill / mesh over those 4 holes, you use a soldering iron ( preferably with a heat stake tip but it's not required if you're good ) simply melt or "stake" them down and your grill is secured. No extra parts needed.
When I got my hood scoop it already had a mesh grill attached to it, with the self-locking retainings rings I mentioned over the rods holding the grill down. When I decided to paint the mesh, I broke them off and just got new ones from home depot. It's a lot quicker and easier.

Mike

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my hood scoop is the Aussie "Visteon" hood scoop. So it did not come with mesh or does not have any "rods" underneath. So I guess Ill have to go with siliconing the mesh in there.

Oh, and at Home Depot, they only had some black plastic gutter guard. They didnt have the metal sheets????

·
Registered
244 Posts
TD,
I got it from the gardening area. Ask someone for "gutter mesh" It comes 5 sheets of mesh about 10" X 40".

I have the Aussie, I thought silicone would not be strong enough, so I used fiberglass. Also, the three spots that you have to mount the scoop on, are made of sheet metal. They are like three little metal plates, you best bet is to drill them out before trying to drop a screw into them.

Just my 02

JOE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.