New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
8,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think.

Back story: I bought this motorhome, an Airstream B190, built on a 1991 Ford E-350 with a 460 engine, in 2005, then sold it in 2011 after we bought a truck and trailer. In 2017, I bought it back as a project. It had only accumulated about 2,000 miles since we sold it in 2011, and I knew from the records that most of those were in the first year after we sold it...so it spent a lot of time sitting, unfortunately. I drove it home, but then it just got worse and worse, and last summer it was to the point where the fuel pressure would drop and it would die after running a few minutes.

So, since last fall I've been working on replacing the fuel system. Both fuel tanks, filler pipes and air vents, pumps, sending units, diverter, and of course the filter. I fired it up for the first time in months over the weekend and it ran badly, clearly missing a cylinder or two, and it wouldn't idle - I had to hold my foot on the gas a little bit to keep it running. I tried it again yesterday, and it fired right up and ran pretty well. It was a little rough at idle, but nothing like what it had been. I suspect just driving it will help with that. I'm going to take it on a Tour de Neighborhood this weekend, I think, and if it seems okay, maybe out to fill the tanks with cheap, cheap gas.

To do yet -
  • Pull the transmission pan and fix the leak - it's leaking out the drain a little bit, and I think it's because the drain itself is loose. Plus the fluid is 14 years old, so it won't hurt to replace it.
  • New plugs and wires for it. The metal parts of the plugs are rusted badly but the electrodes look new...but, again, 14 years old. Same kind of thing with the wires - they look fine, but, 14 years. 2006 was a busy year in that thing. (I already replaced the cap and rotor last fall.)
  • I really ought to check the brakes.
We also have to finish the curtains - only the two side door windows are left at this point (those hang differently than the rest, so we had to think about how to make them).

I had hoped to use it for our first trip at the end of April, but that has been canceled, so now it's not clear when its inaugural trip will be. :(

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Thats great news!
Mine breaking down terrifies me. Not that I couldnt fix it, but that it will happen at a horrible time.
I did burn up a starter once and got stuck at a gas station while in the middle of a road trip. Spent the night next to the gas pump, got someone to pull me away to a low traffic area of the parking lot in the morning, and was able to find a starter locally so it didnt end up being a huge deal, just inconvenient. Damn Reman starters.

·
8,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transmission in this one died on the way to Fest in ‘06. :(

It has a Jasper reman in it now. I had the shop add a temp gauge and a drain.

But that’s the problem with motorhomes, you’re not driving it daily so you don’t see the little problems early.

·
8,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drove it some today. It ran, but it's missing some power, it struggled on minor hills. Also there's an ugly vibration at 40 mph.

·
8,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dads looking to up the power of the 460 in his truck. Hes going with a cam, tb and headers. I told him to go straight to a screw blower
That’s an option. But in this case I mean there’s something wrong. It could barely maintain 55 mph on a mild hill.

·
8,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
plugged cats? compression issues?
Possibly. Hopefully the former instead of the latter. I have new plugs and wires to put in it, so I'm going to do that first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts