New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need a new/used car. I want one that is reasonably quick (high 14 to low 15 1/4) and is a good handling car to boot. Of course it has to have a 5- or 6-speed. Doesn't really matter if it's 2 door or 4 door. My range is about from $14k to $17k. Reliability is a key issue as well. Can any of you think of any cars that would fit in these categories? Thanks for the help.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would say a 98 Trans Am or Camaro. That will get you high 13's low 14's.

If not that then maybe a 97ish Cobra

Maybe Stealth RT/TT or 3000GT VR4

1997-1999 Eclipse GSX or GST/Talon TSI

All of which should accomplish what you need and all of which can be found for under 17K may take some looking for the VR4 and Stealth but everything else is easy to find.

And with 17K you could probably get around a 2000 LS1 car maybe even a 98+ Cobra

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
hmm a c99 cougar with a 3.0/svt hybrid swap that woudl be about there? but eh thats just me

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
My friend bought his '94 VR-4 for $9000. Good luck finding one tho.

mike

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Personally, I'd go with a 97-98 Cobra. Cobra convertibles may also fit into your price range.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all of the answers guys, i appreciate it. those are good ones too, but I guess I should've included that I am 19 years old, and insurance would probably kill me on those. I wouldn't mind a vr-4, but how do they handle? If I can find a stock cougar v6 w/ manual and low miles, i would probably pick it up, but only if I can find one real soon. anyways, thanks for the answers and keep em comin.

-Eric

·
Registered
902 Posts
Don't get a 3kgt if you want reliabilty.. they are not cheap to repair.. and they aren't the most reliable cars..

Of course I still want one..

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
A fiero with the 350 SB chevy in it. Can find some for 5-8 grand and VERY fast. Insurance can only claim it as a V6 as well....now thats original!

·
Registered
792 Posts
How about a Miata or MR2. I know you'll get 200k miles out of a miata with no problems. Turbo MR2 wouldn't be as reliable, but would be quicker.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Originally posted by: Iceotron
A fiero with the 350 SB chevy in it. Can find some for 5-8 grand and VERY fast. Insurance can only claim it as a V6 as well....now thats original!
My friend raced one of those a few years back. We didnt know that it had a V8 till the damn thing did a wheelie, scared the crap out of us.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I would say... 99+ Mustang GT... but I'm a little biased.

S

·
0 Posts
Either a VW GTI VR6 or a 1.8T, or you can find a used audi A4 1.8T for around 17k (97-99)

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I recommend you stay far away from the DSM eclipe, talon and 3kgt if you want reliability. They are fast.. but expensive and break alot.

A vw GTi 1.8t would be a great lil car. slow stock..but they can be made very fast.

no comment on american muscle. ok ok ok i cant hold back.. i see mpg is no consern. any of the above mentioned are reliable and fast too!

mr2s will be a pain to work on.. mid engine means you pull the motor for alot of the needed work.

Hondas are slow as balls stock. GSR or not. If you have the money for a motor swap and internal work then go for it. the aftermarket is huge.. but then again. ya know.

looks like american muscle wins it for the cheapest and fastest for the buck.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'd say maybe a Honda Prelude, fifth generation (97-01). Relatively quick, excellent handling, lots of room for 2, and I doubt insurance would be ALL that bad. The GTI would also be a good choice, although handling would have to be enhanced via aftermarket before long... the ride/handling is definately on the soft and wobbly side from the factory. Otherwise, it's a great car for the money. The 1.8T would be best suited for you if you plan on doing extensive modding, where the VR6 has a surprising amount of punch bone stock. I still have to keep an eye on the speedo to make sure I'm not doing like 15-20mph over. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts