New Cougar Forum banner

Goldie Rebirth

30K views 201 replies 25 participants last post by  OKB-276 
#1 · (Edited)
So a couple months back I bought Goldies car with the plan of fixing it and driving it daily and selling my Fusion. The wife isnt a fan of this idea so its future is still up in the air. Ive always wanted to get back into a normal cougar to drive since the race car is a bit rough to drive on the road and just get a truck to drive in the winter.

It needs a clutch(hopefully thats it) and it should be good to go, as well as some TLC When I got the car both Razzi side skirts were busted up pretty bad, and one front was busted into 3 pieces and the other is in rough shape as well. They arent so far gone that they cant be fixed, but its going to be a lot of work.

Other than springs and a rstb the car is stock performance wise.

If I end up keeping it it not going to be a full on race car, but I want to get it back to what I had in the DSG to make it fun to drive. May eventually put a hybrid in it since its got a pretty polished UIM(that is stock, itll need extrude honed)

my big dilemma now is do I fix the razzi kit, which looks neat in the gold. Or do i swap front and rear bumpers and install the full 01 WW kit that i have and throw the cougar s wings on, which was my plan to do with a car all along. My house has a 6-8" curb so getting the WW up it on H&R's might be tricky

I also have a full 01 interior that i can put in , but the interior is perfect with the exception of a hand print from the car hauler

See less See more
#183 ·
Probably rear links; Daniel hasn't offered front links for a LOOONG time.

I have TZT rear links on the track car, too.

#184 ·
it is the rears. it hasnt been a daily driver since i bought the truck. i probably wont drive it often until the kids are out of their seats. itll be a lot easier to move around with those not there. Plus i havent gotten around to fixing the AC yet lol

#185 ·
Got underneath the car with my son tonight to do an oil change and noticed that the inside edge of both front tires are worn pretty bad. I only drive it once or twice a week so i havent noticed it. Its rubbing bad on the inner fender wells on both sides. Got it on the ground and turned the wheels all the way and i could barely get my fingers in between.

not sure if something has broke or the alignment has gone wonky. just need some time and ideas, and im outta time this month

#186 ·
Do a dummy check and make sure they're plumb first. If it still has lowering springs, they might be sagging past the point of proper camber.
I would make sure weight equivalent to you is in the car when checking it.

#188 ·
It was aligned when I put the car together and i put new struts on it at the time. Granted with scullins luck with his BAT struts that could be the issue. its the inner 2" of tire thats messed up on both tires. Its been rubbing hard on the inner frame, its all nice and shiny.

The springs are eibach's that have been on for a long time. they may be sagging a bit more than normal

#191 ·
so at the end of the season the inners on the tires got worn all to hell. ive got cords showing on both tires, yay. ball joints are still decent, outers are not the best, but passable. the inners are floppy. pick them up and they fall right down. ive got replacements for them. The drivers side inner has a notch for a tool, the passenger side does not. from searching ive not seen a good solution to swapping that side out. anyone do this recently that can give some insight?

While its all apart i think im going to swap out all of the parts, i can get them all for under 100 from rock auto.

whats the tube that goes into the boot on the inner for? the passengers side boot was ripped and that was not on there

#192 ·
I used one of these guys to remove the inner tie rods on mine:

The tube is there to equalize the air pressure between the two sides as you steer while still keeping the system sealed to the outside.

#195 ·
Yup, that's a pretty massive amount of toe.

When it comes to camber, even when my car was lowered 2 in and my camber plates were adding as much neg camber as possible, it was still barely over the -2 deg that Ford says is within spec.

#197 · (Edited)
Soooo, Goldie got an upgrade this weekend. I got a ground control set up from scullin to use with a set of old konis that i had sitting around. It was interesting, the rear springs i got from scullin were longer than the ones i had. I put the last set of springs from the race car on there, 600 front and 400 rear. Still working on getting the height just right, but it handled great yesterday at the event. I did have to put a spacer on the front wheels. the collar was getting a bit to close to the tire for my comfort. It actually gripped enough to get one of the subs in the back to flip into tire well. Not something you want to hear mid run. Ill have to address that somehow

#198 ·
The car has been sitting outside while working on the garage, went to move the car today to get the lift in place and it wouldnt start, no big deal. Put the charger on it and the alarm started to go off. I unhooked the battery to charge it. After a while i hooked the battery back up, alarm still going, and got the car to start. Once started the alarm was still going.

Ive not had this happen before. Any ideas?

#199 ·
For some reason I have it in my head that if you unlock the driver’s door with the key, it will stop the alarm.

#200 ·
It does on my 2000 but on my 99 because it has no fob or it was lost when the car was locked, the trunk will sound the alarm even when one of the doors is unlocked and the floor trunk popper hasn't been pressed, its really annoying but because I only have literally ONE physical key I can never get new keys programed. I think it has something to do with the memory in the CLM and the fobs, though this might not be right as replacing batteries in the fob doesn't mess anything up.