New Cougar Forum banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The heavy box in the front pushes magic smoke through all the little tubes with impossible to manipulate connectors.
If you let the magic smoke out, bad things happen.
If you touch the magic smoke, painful things happen.
If you run out of magic smoke, nothing happens.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
What's the check/change interval on the magic smoke? Will any brand do or do I need the Motorcraft stuff?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
I think its one of those deals where the same chinese company makes all of it, then different brands just slap their own label on so it doesnt really matter

/ End thread hijack /

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Dupont owned the patent on R134A, it was rather convenient that just as the patent was set to expire the EPA decided to force Automakers to change yet again, with the recommended refrigerant being R1234yf, which is also owned by Dupont. Now, I know this might seem a little fishy, but Dupont and the EPA assure us that there's no funny business going on, they just want to protect the environment.

Note, R154a (aka keyboard cleaner), is almost at the required GWP number for the 2020 regulation. R134a is around 3k, the regulation is 100, and R154a is around 125, with R1234yf being in the 80's iirc, and R744 is at 1. R744 being super critical CO2, so it's release into the atmosphere is about as damaging as driving up to the store for groceries.

·
Va te faire foutre
6,005 Posts
cool. thanks stu.

i should really know more about the electrics of these cars.
going off memory, when I was driving the car (-2011), the AC would intermittently cut out following driving with the AC, parking and coming back and starting the car while still hot. It did this off and on but overall the AC would blow 100% cold or nothing. So at that time, did not seem to be a refrigerant issue. I tried changing the (thing I am going to call a magnetic sensor because I don't know what it is - and looks about the same as the camshaft sensor) and it didn't make a difference. Generally it is not hot or humid enough here that having fully functioning AC, so didn't bother looking any further into it.
not to say it hasn't since leaked any remaining refrigerant out, but figured I'd pass along what I know ;)

·
8,494 Posts
going off memory, when I was driving the car (-2011), the AC would intermittently cut out following driving with the AC, parking and coming back and starting the car while still hot. It did this off and on but overall the AC would blow 100% cold or nothing. So at that time, did not seem to be a refrigerant issue. I tried changing the (thing I am going to call a magnetic sensor because I don't know what it is - and looks about the same as the camshaft sensor) and it didn't make a difference. Generally it is not hot or humid enough here that having fully functioning AC, so didn't bother looking any further into it.
not to say it hasn't since leaked any remaining refrigerant out, but figured I'd pass along what I know ;)
Mine has, very rarely, cut off during strong acceleration (normal), but then not kicked back on when I let off the gas (not normal). I don’t know what controls that function, but if it’s a relay that’s flaking, maybe that’s what’s wrong here.

·
Super Moderator
22,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Had Gildie out to go to the dr today. The radio started to sound really bad, and then it quit, ok it's an old unit maybe it died finally, then I looked at the gauges and they weren't working, crap, got it into a parking lot and it died just before I got it backed into a parking spot, great. Going back later with a fresh battery to get it home.

·
Super Moderator
22,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
got the alternator replaced over the weekend. I hate that top bolt by myself, even with the right tools.

went to put the roush rear bar on today and realized the bushings i have arent the right style for the stock brackets. I swear I have the right ones somewhere. Id rather have the larger ones, but I need a welder for that cause the 110v welder I have suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

161 - 172 of 172 Posts