New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I was invited to participate in BMW's Ultimate Driving Experience. What is it you ask? Professional race car drivers take you out on an autocross course and let you basically beat the crap out of the new 2006 BMW 330i's to get a feel for how well they handle. You then get to take out a 2006 Audi A4 and a 2006 Infiniti G35 sedan (all $40,000 and up):biggrin: and compare them to the 330i's.

Anyways, here are some pics and links to videos of me driving the various cars and then test driving a 2006 645ci.

645ci around a corner

Accelerating - sounds so nice

Decelerating 645ci

More 645ci

A4 on autocross track

G35 sedan (camera died)

driving the 330i is better than sex

:cover:

The differences between these three cars on the autocross track are insane! The G35 sedan handles like a boat and the A4 just doesn't like to be pushed that hard. But, the BMW on the other hand, loves it! And so did I. Great fun!:thumbsup:

I am amazed that BMW actually let us take their cars out without a "chaperone." I would have pushed it much harder than I did, but I was with my dad, who at one point looked over at me and said, "Slow down! I am going to puke!" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,977 Posts
Lil bit of body roll on that G35...

That 6 series is AWESOME.

·
Registered
223 Posts
GM did a thing like that a few months ago in ohio, called the auto show in motion. every car there you could drive. they told you not to drive crazy but no one yelled. its was a blast. almost rolled an escalade haha

·
Registered
553 Posts
why didn't they have the G35 coupe instead of the sedan? The coupe handles better then the sedan lol...

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Am I the only one having trouble with Streetfire? I get all the sound, but the screen is just blank.

Based on sound, that BMW is just sick. Cosmetic wise, it reminds me a lot of the old 840's. Oh well, its still hella nice looking.

EDIT: I'm a 'tard, I thought they were testing the 645i with the G35 and A4, but it was the 330i.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The 6 series are nice cars.....But they have there fair share of problems, Air Bag control units going bad prematurly, cam sensor issues, seat occupancy sensors going bad, minor wireing issues....theres a few other minor issues....all the issues i mentoned are just anoying but not dangerous to the car.....well maybe the bad Air Bag control unit....Anyways, i'll let you guys know when i get my test of the M5 and M6 as they debu.

Working for BMW sometimes has its perks.

Do you work for BMW too?? Because the one i attended was called the same, but BMW specificly told us it was for employees only.......it was a totaly awsome experience.

Lupe

·
Registered
196 Posts
Depends...currently right now they use Boge shocks. BAck in 2003 ZF Industries bought Sachs-Boge A.G. which helped revamp SACHS-BOGE with more affordable and better performing suspension parts.Though BMW decided to go with them earlier than that, they worked out a Good deal with BMW A.G. to make better performing parts, at a reasonable price(well resonable for BMW, they still mark [censored] up a lot to the consumer)

Right now you can find the large majority ofSachs or Boge shocks on all 1999 and Up BMW's. Earlier modles used a Bilstein, then a mixture of Bilstein and Sachs (was Series Dependant in some years), now finaly Sachs-Boge.....All though form time to time, (on the M series) some of the more current years, i will see some come in with Bilsteins, or find a set of Bilsteins in the parts catalog as a sport option for some 3 series with the M performance suspension.

Lupe

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mixed....I love the perfromance, look and handling of the BMWs. The aftermarket is also pretty hot. My main issue with them is all the electronic crap that BMW has moved to.

There are over 15 diffrent control units in the cabin, about 3 in the trunk, and something like 7-10 under the hood........So with all that electronics you are bound to get problems....which do happen. But the good thing is there all minor problems....the only major problem that has happend in the last 3 years was a few M3 motors in the E46 had a bad set of rods and we had to replace the motors under warranty .

The new 325I and 330I motors i have not "heard" any problmes yet, but i have seen a few minor issues like the window regulator going bad. But Both new motors are 3.0L. the 325I's is just slightly detuned.

Overall if you can get past the electronics and the minor issues, you will be happy with a BMW. the comfort, hadling and performance is awsome in my opinion. BMW customer service is great, they have never let a customer down (warranty wise).

I if any of you guys are in CA, let me know, and i'll bring a BMW home with me for a weekend....I cannot do it often, but i can do it enough to apease my urges.....Do i own one, no.....I own a Contour SVT which i still mod, and A Jeep liberty....Why you ask??? UNtil i buy my own home, theres no reason to for me to purchase somehting that depereciates in value so fast (I mean cars in general) that is that expensive.

So im looking out for my future first.....Then im buying a Z4 M roadster with is set to debu later this year/spring next year...I hope.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my boyfriend drives a 328is bmw, he loves it, and i love it too.. he's wanted to go to one of those driving school events like what you are talking about too.. do you know if they have them pretty often all over the us? or do they only have them in one place once a year?

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, heres the problem.....the current BMW N.A. authorized driving schools are only for new Owners of the new 5 series, 6 series, the new M's (as they debu) and the Z4(haven't heard anything about the 3 series yet).......At the time of purchase of your vehicle you have 1 year to sign up for the Driving Experience...when you do, its for a weekend, and they actually pay for your room and board (I believe on certain cars they actually play for your plan ticket as well). You end up in North Carolina i believe.....I have to look it up again, but the BMW website only allows me access from work.

Its an awesome experience from what all the customers that have tried it, have told me.

As for actual driving schools or experiences for regular BMW owners of non-current vehicles I am not too sure....other than the Areas BMW Club Racing circuit hosts driver training courses every few months.

The last BMW driving experience i attented, was for employees only in So. San Francisco. And it was the same thing as Wanderingmind posted about in his first post of this thread.

Look up your local BMW clubs next run at your local track or AutoX course....maybe inquire about any BMW driving classes.....I will do further research for you guys at work and see if i can find out anything about it.

Lupe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.