New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...

Can someone post up a how-to from the Ford Tech CD on how to replace the Cam Position Sensor for a 99 Cougar V6? I was hoping this code was a one-off, but it keeps coming back. I have the part on order, but need the deets on how to change it.

Thanks!

Massiv.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
I heard from some guys on CEG that, that is a common error, I have it as well, but it hasn't come back, even after clearing it.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Look on the right side of the front head, you will see it there. All you need is a 10mm socket, just unplug it, and swap them out.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Here is a really horrible pic of it's location.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I edited that pic at work, with paint. Here is a better pic, the highlighted part is the cam position sensor.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Oh damn...I forgot to give you credit....honestly. I did a search in the photos forum for "engine" in hopes that I would find a pic showing the CPS...and I did. :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by: LostRacer
I heard from some guys on CEG that, that is a common error, I have it as well, but it hasn't come back, even after clearing it.

Hey thanks... I think I heard that too. I've cleared it, and it keeps coming back, and now with near-immediate frequency (within a day). I'm glad this thing looks like a snap to change though! I thought it was UNDER the timing cover...

Also, does anyone know exactly what this thing does (apart from the obvious, implied by the name)? If the crank PS and cam PS are in synch, then why does the Duratec need two?

Thanks,

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by: LostRacer

Hey thanks... I think I heard that too. I've cleared it, and it keeps coming back, and now with near-immediate frequency (within a day). I'm glad this thing looks like a snap to change though! I thought it was UNDER the timing cover...

Also, does anyone know exactly what this thing does (apart from the obvious, implied by the name)? If the crank PS and cam PS are in synch, then why does the Duratec need two?

Thanks,

Massiv.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts