New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I had just got out of the greatest concert ever...System of a Down! He dropped me off at my house to get my car, and we left to go head to this party that was happening at our friends house (seperate cars) about 5 miles up the road. He had just gotten an A4 (1.8t manual, 2001) and was wanting to see how'd it match up to my car...I've raced an 1.8t Pasat manual and won...so I figured...eh? Why not? We got about 4 miles down the road and had hit downtown Clermont. We hit the second light we came to. I had told him earlier about doing a manual launch...I have ATX so I can't do it in my car...so I figured I'd might as well tell him how to do it. At the light I heard him revving, but revving way to hard...light turns green, I floor it- he spins the living $hite outta his tires. I fly forward, he goes nowhere. So I stop accellerating at the speed limit...40mph, maybe going 2-3 miles over the speed limit, which I always do. My buddy stays back, doing the speed limit and embarassed to catch up to me because of the spinning. About a half mile later a familiar outline starts riding my ass. When I went to turn left a 1/8 mile later...the lights turn on.
He pulls me over, asks for the usual stuff, then hands me a ticket...street racing...I also got a buncha $hit from the other two cops that were with him (my friend got pulled over to). We both left with a $115.00 ticket and that was it...but yesterday in the mail...

SUMMONS TO COURT - SEPT 7 - STREET RACING

The cop had told me that I was getting lucky and that a law that was going to be passed in 15 days would of put me in jail and had my license suspended. But whats funny is technically we didn't race. The cops told me they were taking a smoke break a few blocks away and heard my engine and my friends tires. SO they didn't see anything...I was doing the speed limit when I got pulled over, and I wasn't weaving in and out of traffic; there weren't even any other cars around... Of course I'm pleading not guilty...wish me luck.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
so how do they know it was YOU?

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Yeah, how do they know that you were racing? If they were "a few blocks away", how did they know that it wasn't someone else?

Fight it. And if the cops say in court "I heard the tires spinning", I bet the judge will throw it out right there. How di he know that you RACED? Did he SEE you flying down the road? Or just hear your exhaust? If so, you could make the case that that is how your exhaust always sounds when you drive.

As for your friend and the spinning tires. Is that his first manual transmission car? How long has he had it? he could probably say "I just slipped the clutch too much, I'm not used to a manual. I've had the car for a day and a half." IDK if that will hold up, though. It depends on how much he spun the tires. If he just spun for a second, then that might go. If he sat there just smoking the sh!t out of them, then he may have a problem.

Yours is the easiest to fight. If you have to , ask the cops to go back and take rubber samples on the road, and that you don't have any rubber there at all.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Gah . . . I hope the lack of evidence takes care of your case, otherwise . . . dude . . . get the KY.

Different states have different laws regarding what constitutes "street racing" or "drag racing" . . . I know of someone here who was arrested and lost their license for a year because they took their car out on a deserted (so they thought) country road and launched the car . . . unfortunately there was a cop out trolling down the crossroad that saw him launch . . . he was flippin toast.

It sounds flimsy, but thanks to the explosion of "street racers" because of wonderful movies like The Rice and the Ridiculous, states are coming down harder on [censored].

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here in california, becasue of the laws, weather your all out drag racing or racing in the speed limit, racing is racing.....Here in CA, they call it exhibition of speed...iv been pulled over for it before....some cops call it street racing and some cops call it showing off on the tickets.....But because of the huge street racing sceen here, the new laws being passed for it over lap the old laws, so now they can get you for street racing, even if it was considered Exhibition of speed prior to when the law was passed.....

So now they can take your car and license.

Id fight it if i were you....but remember ignorance is no excuse....Most Judges (atleast here) don;t are if you know or not....so try and think of something else to say.

And honestly, if your racing no matter what speed your going up to....its considered racing.....and cops will use that to there advantage.

Good luck with the court...i hope you do get out of it.

Lupe

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
California has several different laws regarding racing on the streets.
There's speed contest, there's exhibition of speed (usually not involving another party), there's exhibition of power, amongst others.

If the ticket was specifically for "street racing", and the cops HEARD you but did not SEE you commit the act, then there is no evidence or proof or even WITNESSES (not even the cops themselves) that you did it.

Remember, while anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.... the same goes for the cops.

Write down exactly what they said. Explain that this is what they said to the judge. If they didn't see it, they only heard it, they have no proof it was you.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
and of course dont incriminate yourself. Say nothing about your what you guys where doing. Give them no details unless they ask for them. Simply state the FACTS. The cops say nothing and ASSUMED it was you. Assumptions hold no water in court.

If they ask what you where doing, tell the truth. "you where driving to a friend's house going the speed limit when you where pulled over"

·
Registered
196 Posts
Originally posted by: redcougarguy
Yeah cops suck. I got pulled over 2 nights ago for doing 40 in a 35 and it was midnight so no one was even around.
I agree with you, that was stupid for them to do and most cops around here wouldn't pull you over for that, but technically you were speeding so at the same time, it was deserved.....But if you take it to court you may be able to get the fine reduced...and if the judge is in a good mood, it's possible he my just dismiss it.

Good Luck,

Lupe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
but see the cop never saw ANYTHING....i'm hoping that will hold up in court...he only heard my friends tires...i never sped, and i never violated any other traffic laws...ill keep u guys updated when i go to court, Sept. 7th at 830 am.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Originally posted by: AlphAssassin
but see the cop never saw ANYTHING....i'm hoping that will hold up in court...he only heard my friends tires...i never sped, and i never violated any other traffic laws...ill keep u guys updated when i go to court, Sept. 7th at 830 am.
Ahh, i understnad now....i must have skiped that part in your first post by mistake....>Then yes, the cop is pulling BS on you....Fight it....I hope you can put htat cop in his place.

Lupe

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Otherday I was in the school parking lot.. a classmate of mine ( a real jackass) .. took off pretty fast up a hill and pulled into the parking lot and parked... i looked to the left a cop flys up with his lights on... gets out and pulls him outta the car and cuff's him and puts him in the back of the patrol car and started searching his bag and his car... and then took him off to jail.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You might want to do some research before you go in there because you sound uninformed on what a race is. You said you floored it off the light and took it up to 40, thats a race. Nowhere does it say you need to reach a certain speed or distance. You could take off from the light and race to 25mph, you might not consider it a race in your win/loss book but to a cop thats a race. And if you try saying you didnt break any laws thats going to piss the judge off probably. If they didnt nail you for the racing they could have easily hit you with careless driving or wreckless driving. I lost my license for 6 months due to a street racing incident and i was just watching, so i suggest you either start doing some research on what a race is considered by law or you better get yourself a lawyer. Heres what they consider street racing in pennsylvania, and like i said notice it doesnt specify you have to exceed the speed limit or go a certain distance. They nailed me on section b for participation.

§ 3367. Racing on highways.
(a) Definitions.--As used in this section the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Drag race."
The operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of the vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.
"Race."
The use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long distance driving routes.

(b) General rule.--No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record, and no person shall in any manner participate in any such race, competition, contest, test or exhibition.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I agree with GMK. DO NOT say "well I floored it up to 40" or something like that. ONLY say "I was minding my onw business going to my friend's house, and the cops pulled us over for racing."

Unfortunatly, if the cops wanna screw you, they can just sit there and say "I saw car A and car B accelerate quickly fomr a light, with car A spinning the tires heavily. They were racing." It doesn't matter that they were actually several blocks away. They are the "officers of the law" so whatever lies they say must be truth. They can flat out lie, and say "we were sitting at the intersection" or "we were down the street looking towards the intersection and saw them take off" or something, and there's no way you can dispute that. You're the "punk street racer", they're the cop. They are somehow 100% right in front of a judge.

Good luck on the fight, but for the love of God, don't screw yourself over by being [censored]y about anything.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Ok, can I just say something here for all the bleeding hearts that are trying to make him out to be someone who the cops are out to get and are just trying to bust the "punk street racer"? HE WAS STREET RACING! As was mentioned in an earlier post, it doesn't matter if you only go to 25, or to 40, racing is racing.

Now, on the other hand I think it would be ridiculous for you to be given any kind of fine or severe punishment or whatever, I'm not saying you should. Unfortunately, the law is the law, and you was breakin it. Good luck with it all though, I really hope you get out of it with your cornhole intact.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.