New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently converted my vct zetec into a normal zetec by replacing head with a fr head.

It runs but not so hot, doesnt like to start up very well and almost feels like im hitting the rev limiter randomly while driving sometimes.

I believe this is due to the vct and due to the fact the VCT zetec cam position sensor is on the exhaust side, whereas the normal zetec is on the intake side.

My question is this, Can I run an ecu from a different car without screwing everything up? Are all Ford EEC-V pinouts the same for all zetec equipped cars? Anyone done anything similiar?

Contours had regular zetecs before 98 could I run one of their ecus safely?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

On another note... is it possible to just turn vct off through diable software. I think if my tuner did that I would be golden.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Removing the VCT will put the ECU into limp mode and it will run crappy. Or so I've heard. I probably should of posted something about that, but I thought you knew.

First are you sure you installed everything back right? If the cam timing is off enough that will mess things up also.

If everything is hooked up right a chip should fix those issues. The problem with going to an older ECU is the older Zetecs had EGR and if you install one and you don't have any of the EGR stuff hooked up it will go into limp mode again and run badly.

In the meantime, if you have a OBDII scanner you can keep it in the car and plug it in everytime the check engine light comes on and reset it, that should fix it till you get the chip.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know it goes into limp mode, but its just got some weird systems going on now. I have had VCT unplugged for a long while. Im getting a chip very soon, just kind of wondering if he will be able to fix all the issues, which he should be able to.

Im just weighing other options just in case...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.