New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a BAT 21mm rear sway bar to install. Wondering if someone can give me a quick overview or point out a How To (I didn't see one). Also, puckpuck, I tracked down your old post in the archives about the home-made bracket support, but the attached pic is no longer available. Got any shots of it online? Or is it just common sense on how to adapt some metal in there?

Thanks,

Massiv.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Generally...

-jack up the rear of the car
-remove the wheels (you need to slide the stock sway out to one side)
-remove the bolts attaching the sway bar to the end links
-use a 13mm socket to remove the sway bar brackets
-put a piece of 2X4 on a jack and use that to brace under the gas tank
-remove the bolts holding straps on the gas tank
-lower the jack
-work the sway bar out of one side

Reverse the steps to reinstall

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Here's a quick overview.

- jack up rear of car
- remove sway bar endlinks
- using a board and floor jack, support gas tank
- loosen fuel tank straps
- lower fuel tank and slide it forward slightly (it only needs to move a couple of inches)
- remove sway bar brakets
- remove sway bar
- reverse process for install of new bar

Edit: Don beat me to it.

·
Administrator
11,562 Posts
You don't need to lower the tank. I've personally witnessed it on my car :)

When installing my Roush RSW @ CougarXR02's house we were ready to drop the tank when we decided to give it a shot. After another member & I took turns pulling & twisting we gave up & took a break. That's when Tony (CougarXR02) sat down, and with nobody looking, just pulled it out in seconds.

Installation was just as easy w/him doing it. Knibbs & I couldn't get the bar to slide in, we let Tony handle it and with a flick of the wrist done! :)

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
i was going to try to remove the stocker and put my own Roush in without dropping the tank because it did indeed look possible, but figured i'd do it the easy way without scratching the pretty paint all up, regardless of the fact that nobody will ever see it. ;)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info guys. Thanks!

Did you all use some sort of support bracket for your bars?

Massiv.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Not yet, but make sure those are poly bushings, because the bushings that came with the Roush are rubber. :disgust:
They squeak like crazy.

i didn't upgrade the brackets because i doubt Roush upgraded the brackets when they made all the Roush Cougars. It IS in my plans though.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting... I think the BAT bushings are rubber. They're hard, but not that hard. BAT seems to know what they're doing though, so I guess I'll throw it in, and see about the squeaking. Seems like a super-easy install actually.

Massiv.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
I am using bracket reinforcements because the pass side stock bracket was completely destroyed after 6 months with my 24mm bar. Mine are just steel plates with a couple of holes drilled in them and nuts welded onto the backside. I had my dad weld them in place for me and everything is still looking good 18 months later.

·
Administrator
11,562 Posts
The bushings from BAT are polyurathane. I bought mine from there too & she's as quite as can be.

I did use stock (but new) Ford rear sway brackets (the little metal hook w/rubber in the middle). I probably should check those as I am hearing something from the back occasionally.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jscullin,

Since you also got the BAT bar, what are your impressions of how it changed your suspension's performance?

Thanks,

Massiv.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Originally posted by: Massiv
Sonza...

Got any pics?

Massiv.
Unfortuantly, no. I didn't think to take any while we were doing the install.

·
Administrator
11,562 Posts
Originally posted by: Massiv
Jscullin,

Since you also got the BAT bar, what are your impressions of how it changed your suspension's performance?

Thanks,

Massiv.
Mine is a Roush bar which I bought off a member. I don't think the ones on BAT are Roush.

But it's really nice. That with my OMP front, GC/Koni setup the car rides on rails. Literally. There's like 1* of body roll.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All done!

Thanks for the help guys! Did the sway bar on my own today in about an hour and half. Haven't had TOO much chance to put it to the test yet, but a couple of hard turns that I pushed the car through, expecting it to plow a little bit with understeer, especially with the snow tires on stock wheels I'm running now, were exciting! The nose just turns in. That's all there is to it! Can't wait to get my summer rubber back on there, and see how my whole suspension setup is running now! Made some already excellent handling with the BAT euro kit that much better.

Couple of tips for others doing this install (for history):
-You CAN remove the bar with a little elbow grease and without removing the tank. Dunno how the other guy just flicked his wrist and did it, but I dragged the L on the bar through that space, and the plastic gas-tank shield deflected to let it slide through. Same on the install... just pushed it through. If you're worried about scratching the L part of the metal, you could wrap one arm in something strong before pushing it through.
-One gas tank retaining strap bolt was not accessible due to the exhaust's heat shielding (which appeared riveted on or something) being in the way.
-You might not want to attempt this without air tools, or at least a buddy to lend a hand on some lightly rusted-up bolts.
-A hammer is helpful in getting the bushings and backing plates into place. Some light tapping helps get it into position.
-A buddy could really help out with aligning and holding things on the other side of the vehicle for this job, but it's certainly do-able on your own.

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Final thought on the rear sway bar, for those searching this thread historically, and wondering about the effect. Apart from what I already mentioned (about how the front wheels just TURN IN, and hold their line better), there is another very pleasing effect I have noticed after driving with it for a couple of days. Previously, even with the suspension kit, there was a little numb spot at dead center. Perhaps more accurately, when you would turn (say for a lane change), there was a split instant as the suspension loads onto the outside front tire, then bites, then turns. With the sway bar, the turn-in is much more instant. The suspension doesn't feel like it has to load, and it just turns in with immediacy. Very pleasing. Even when not making a drastic move.

Massiv.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts