New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an automatic 99 cougar =( ive driven manuals all my life, but this was the only cougar i could get =) anyway, i was wondering 2 things, one, can i "gear up" an automatic so that it performs more like a standard would, i.e. not falling all the way back to 2000 rpms when it shifts, or is it possible to just replace the transmission with a manual, and if so how much would that run me, 1000 dollars ish? thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First off welcom to the club, second (befor the evil "use the search" mongers swoop down and jump your $#!^) I will say it. The info on things like that have most likely been posted before, and the info gathred and passed would be way to much to resay in one post. The best place to start is tranny performance, level ten is the place everybody swears by for ATX upgrades, I plan on getting the work done my self as soon as my deal with the devil comes throug and can affored it. as far as a tranny swap, it can be done, it has been done and two words for you, good luck! hope this helps.

Laters

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, it's usually better performance wise just to go on a shopping spree at levelten.com. The main thing that hinders the ATX is it's drivetrain loss which is estimated to be somewhere around 25-30%. If you get a torque converter, hydrosystem, and tranny cooler from levelten.com, they say it can lower the drivetrain loss to about 10-12%. Those numbers haven't been proven, but it WILL help and not only that, but your ATX will shift better than 90% of the manual drivers out there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts