New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been visiting these forums for a while now getting some info about Cougar's and what is happening overseas with these cars. I've been a fan of the Cougar for quite some time and finally picked my own one up last weekend. I'll try to attach a pic, although it's only a stock black 2001 model.

I live in western Sydney, Australia and the Cougar is a really rare car in this country. But such a beaut car and I love some of the work you guys have done with yours. I have some plans for mine as well and hopefully this place will be really good in helping me out with what I can and shouldn't do with the car.

I'm looking forward to being a part of the forums here :)

Thanks for reading,

Daniel (Abraxas)

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Holy crap! I didn't think there were any cougars in Australia. Then again there is such a thing called aussie headlights. Welcome to the boards!:wave:

On a side note: One day i will visit that country. I've wanted to ever since i was a kid.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Welcome to the board!:wave:

Are you coming to Cougarfest? you would definitely win the longest trip category! :rofl:

Wayne7497 is from Perth, Australia! So we do have other members from Downunder!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the welcome.

I'd love to come to Cougarfest - maybe if I get my car on the ship now I might make it?

The Cougar is a very rare car to find in Australia, but there are a few around. Not many being modified though. I know of two other people somewhere in Oz who have done some pretty decent mods to theirs.

As far as I know, all Cougars in Australia are V6 2.5 Duratec powered, so they also came with the foglights, disc brakes all round, 16" 6 spoke alloys, climate control, MTX or ATX, Ford doorsills, tape deck head units and all power options. Some came with the standard spoiler, sunroof, leather interior and even fewer of them were "Eibach" editions which were lowered with Eibach springs, had 17" rims and what they called the Eibach bodykit which was front lip, sides and a nice rear spoiler. Cougars were only released from 1999 to 2001 in Australia.

My car is "standard Oz spec" for an 01 model in Black Ebony, comes with the leather interior and heated seats. MTX, 6 Disc stacker mounted in the boot, standard rear spoiler and aftermarket Advanti Arkane 17" rims wearing Yokohama tyres.

First thoughts are to lower her with some decent springs and take it from there changing a few things here and there to make her look a little better. The Cougar already is a standout vehicle in this country, I want mine to have just a little bit more to it tho.

Hmmm, well there's my car's story. This was only supposed to be a short reply! :)

Abraxas

·
Registered
303 Posts
haha i work at Outback Steakhouse and noticed your title and new it was fro australia..lol..goodluck with everything and welcome to the boards

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by: BabyGurlRacing
welcome! it must be nice to have those aussie headlights stock...i am dying to get mine :)
haha, yes they are nice. I must admit I'm not a fan of the US orange reflector, as I've noticed much of you guys aren't either. Our "white" reflector isn't actually used for anything though. There's no bulb behind there or anything... But looks good. I'm just waiting on some clear side repeaters to clean up the look and get rid of all the orange on the front end of the car.

As for my intro to this forum, I thought a "G'day" would get across the fact I'm in Australia, but I'm not a "true-blue" Aussie. I just live here :)

Abraxas

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey fellow aussies!
i'm thinking of buying a cougar as a first car, but my friends have been telling me it's not a good idea due to its poor handling and its costly repairs.
Poor handling i can take (i am driving an EA Falcon atm), but if the cost of repairing it is too much, i might have to think of getting a japanese car.
How much is a service for the cougar if i am to take it to Ford for servicing?
and how much are parts?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
interesting, i thought they stopped selling cougars after the 2000 model year overseas...maybe that was just europe...

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
You're correct- although a few of the "Cougar 2" as the Europeans like to call it did make it to sale in Europe. Oz had it available for the 2001 year as well.

chenny- there really aren't that many issues with the car that would need servicing. Are you talking about standard maintenance or "other" repairs/maintenance?

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Unless you're very hard on the car, I wouldn't expect to be paying much for repairs. Parts can be a bit pricey, but I wouldn't think they'd be too much more than their Japanese counterparts. Some of the standard complaints have been about alternators (in early year models, 99/00) and perhaps the fuel pump in the 00/01/02. The alternator can be saved with upgrades/modification (underdrive pulley for alt and power steering) which will also add performance. Everything else is fairly regular. There is no timing belt to replace, there are many aftermarket clutches if you get a manual, air filters aren't pricey and you can fit the car with an upgraded one anyhow that is reusable...

I can't speak specifically for pricing on parts in Oz.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.