New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's the best place to put the oil temp sender? The head looks like a good spot (under the TB) but I want to be sure it would give an accurate reading.

I'm also having some trouble with my water temp readings. The sender is currently tapped into the top coolant line that runs next to the battery towards the firewall. BUT I'm only getting readings of 40 to 60 degrees Celsius ( 104 to 122 F). Any ideas?

Thanks
Bridge

P.S YES the oil pressure AND Accusump are tied in behind the AC Compressor.... Barely

Picture of the water temp sender location

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Bah. Pro-Flow MAF... :thumbsdn: :tongue:

To answer your questions- The oil pressure tap behind the AC compressor is the "best" place to put the pressure sender and the Accusump.

Water temperature can be tapped at the heater core hoses- You can put an in-line "T" fitting on the output from the head towards the heater core (firewall) to get readings of what temperature the coolant is coming out of the engine (i.e. the hottest temp you'll see). Your picture has the upper radiator hose marked- I wouldn't tap there! Tap at the heater hose- 5/8" hose barbed fittings and a brass "T" should do the trick- Put the sender in the leg of the "T" (don't try to have the water change direction if you can avoid it) and you're good to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info... And it's an old pic and the pro flow is no longer on the car!

Now for the bad news, the sender is already in that hose... As I said above I am getting readings of about 100 F... Is it possible that these are correct b/c that coolant is coming right out of the rad??

Also any ideas on the oil temp?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just what I thought.

I'm putting a 'T' where the stock coolant temp sender is and putting it there. Thanks for the help guys ...

Now I'm need to fix that coolant hose...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Woah- Hold the freakin' phone!

Coolant comes out of that hose from the top of the block, into the radiator, and is returned to the engine from the bottom of the radiator. Coolant flows better down than up...

My guess is that your sender lacked a ground it needed, preventing it from returning a decent signal. Other than that... Faulty gauge?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.