New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite, so whats up with this now. Everytime the U.S gets a tropical storm the gas prices are going to go up? And even if you know the gas prices are going to go up, you have to wait in line for hours just to fill up. I know theres nothing we can do about it, but its just getting rediculous. :mad:
Rite now, in niagara falls the gas prices are 1.09$, but i just heard in leamington it went from .99$ to 1.59$.
what does everyone else think? sure maybe with katrina it was big, but now with Rita and who knows what other storms will the gas prices keep going up?

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
it's the "uncertainty factor". With the current hurricane targeting Texas, it has the potential to hit refineries there which turn the oil into gas :)

When Katrina hit, it dissabled the oil rigs out at sea. Until they were put back into working order we paid through the ass for gas...now if this storm knocks out the refineries, there will be less gas processed meaning VERY inflated prices. If the hurrcane does not hit the refineries, we should be good.

Mind you, if Bush opened up the reserve's we wouldn't have much more problems. :)

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
K...I know this is long...but please read it...It'll take two minutes...I think it'll work :shrug:

Hey Everyone,

I've been getting a lot of forwards from people again, about not buying gas on a certain day, to "send a message to the oil companies".
Although the effort is very plausible, I would like to put it into perspective for you, and this is the worst-case scenario of damage that we could do.
On average, the oil companies (Petro-Canada, Esso, Sunoco, Shell, etc.) See annual revenues in the range of hundreds of millions of dollars. Probably over $365 Million. So the worst you can do in one day to each of the companies is $1 million dollars. Doesn't seem like a whole lot in the scheme of things does it? Further more, don't think they won't bump their prices higher the very next day to cover their loses from the one day gas ban.

Here is what is going on in the world. This is my little rant for the day. There have not been any new refineries built in North America in the last 30 years. This means that the oil companies are maxed out in their production capacity of gasoline, and have been for the last 10-15 years. OPEC has cut back their production of Crude Oil over the last number of years, creating a further cut in the supply of oil, creating a future supply scare. Not to mention that they knew back 20 years ago that oil was going to be soon obsolete. So if they opened up the oil fields then, made it cheap then, it would reduce the demand for a cheaper alternative fuel at that time. Now they’ve been cutting the supply off to squeeze as much out of us as they can, when they know that Hydrogen fuel cells are just around the corner, and inevitable. Anyone starting to get it?
Here is how we can have an influential effect on the gasoline prices. Number one, stop using so much gas. I know I am guilty of this too, but we don't need to drive to the corner store to get our milk and bread, not all of us need SUV's and pickup trucks, and we don't need muscle cars with big V8 engines, and if your going downtown Toronto please try to use the TTC if you can. It will save you on the parking too. If we can reduce our actual consumption we can somewhat bring back equilibrium in the supply and demand curves.

Next, if you want to punish them, here is how it can be done. A one-day ban is not going to have an effect. We need to isolate one company out. So for example, Shell (Because they are all over the world under the same name). No one buys shell gasoline, and this has to happen world wide, until they reduce their price to 65 cents per liter, and not one decimal more (65.0). So Shell cannot make money unless they sell for 65 cents a liter or less. Well if they are doing that, and the others aren't following suit, do you think anyone is going to buy gas at over 65 cents per liter at the other places? I know I wouldn't. If they want to make money they have to come in at the same price or less. The other effect is that you will create a TRUE price war between them, just to get our business. They are publicly traded companies and have sharholders to report to. They have to make something!!!

Here is the extra bonus. The oil companies will have no choice but to either start to consider new refineries or start changing their business plan to becoming involved in the alternative fuels market. Since the Hydrogen fuel cell is so close to becoming part of our everyday lives, don't you think they are going to start considering a shift in their product offering? Wouldn't that be better over all for the environment and us?

Now in addition to this, people are saying that the recent hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico are the cause. Well yes they do have an effect, a profound one at that. BUT, just bear in mind; the gasoline you are buying at the pumps did not come from the oil that is being drilled out right now. The crude that the gasoline we buy today was bought at market prices months ago. So how can the oil companies be charging us jacked up rates when the cost hasn’t even been realized? If the price of a barrel of crude had tanked today, do you think the prices at the pumps would? No, it would happen in four months.

Again, the real issue here is that we lack refining capabilities. Yes there are refineries down south that will be effected, but they do not produce the gasoline that comes out of our pumps here in Canada.

Another point to consider is that Canada has enough crude oil available to supply itself. There is an opportunity for us to take care of ourselves, at a profitable level, and not be paying anywhere close to the current prices. We as Canadians have to start telling our politicians that it’s time they start looking out for our own interests first. There is going to be a Federal election coming soon. What a perfect opportunity!!! For too long we have let our natural resources go on to the international marketplace for peanuts, and buy back finished goods at a premium. Why don’t we start charging more for our product? The rest of the world wants it, and NAFTA has certainly proved to be a farce.

I hope everyone can do a cut and paste, and pass this along or at the very least take this message and repeat it in their own words. This is a rant, but it does make sense. We deserve better, and it’s time we stood up for ourselves and not be played as puppets. We are the consumer, and the consumer is supposed to have the final say!!!

Eric

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
It's BS! Thats all. There are Hurricanes every year, all of a sudden they cause gas prices to go up. Gas companies just figured out another way to screw us!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
lol yup

not to mention i think the 365 million a year is a tad lean for their profits in a year...last i heard they were making upwards of 6 billion a quarter

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Originally posted by: crazyoldcougar
lol yup

not to mention i think the 365 million a year is a tad lean for their profits in a year...last i heard they were making upwards of 6 billion a quarter
I'm sure they are making much more then that...It was just an overly conservative number, to put it into perspective...But 6 Bil/quarter? Are you talking about the oil producing industry as a whole, or the canadian gas retail industry as a whole, or each company on average here in Canada? That number seems a bit far-fetched for just Shell Canada, or Perto-Can.

Whatev the number may actually be, the point I was trying to drive is that one day of not buying gas is not gonna have any effect in the long run...If we target one company though, and cut them off until they respond, they will have no choice then the others will have to as well.

Any how, it prolly won't happen...People just like to [censored] and not stand up for themselves....Thats the real problem...Canadian's as a whole are not putting the politician's on the spot, and putting the auto industry on the spot to develop an alternative fuel source.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i thnk i may have been a bit off and i could not honestly tell you if that was the industry or individual suppiers...i just remember hearing back in march that 'they" (not sure exactly who) lost over 2 billion in profits over that quarter

either way i do agree with you that the whole boycott wont work unless everyone targets a particular brand say esso/mobil/whoever the hell else they own. and boycotts them for a extended period of time...

on the other hand if there is anythin we have learned from the hock strike those who hold out end up taking it in the rear anyway down the road.

i think the only way to fix this is with some seriously heavy weight on the politicians who are letting these crook get away with it. and even at that there would be no end since there is some many thousands of people that are heavily invested in the oil companies who wont care to budge either...so i guess the only way around these aholes robbing us blind is to buy a hybrid or avoid driving...maybe some serious pressure on the automotive companies to produce more affordable and reliable hybrids or electric cars ..the more we reduce or dependancy or fossil fuels the more the price will drop...mind you then the battery people will find a way to get thier paws on our hard earned money.just a great big vicious circle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.