New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GASOLINE PRICES
This makes more sense than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" routine that was going around in April or May. Whoever started this has a good point. By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.49 is cheap. Me too! As it is now $1.58 for regular unleaded. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at less than $1.50, we need to try an aggressive response. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we don't buy it. But, that's not really a practical option since we all have come to rely on our cars. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together.

******Here's the idea **********

For the rest of this year, don't purchase gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling, they should be inclined to reduce their prices - and if they reduce their prices the ther companies will too. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of users. But it IS... do-able! **********
I am sending this note to 60 people. If each of you send it to at least 10 more ...and those 10 send it to a! t least 10 more ... and so on by the time the message reaches the sixth iteration we will have reached over one million consumers. Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on, or one you compose, to at least 10 more E-mail addresses.
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO $1.28 - $1.29 AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

(MelazaOnline)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Reasons it won't work: A report by Fett.

1) You can't get ten people to agree what time it is, let alone organize a functional boycott. Remember all the talk about people boycotting opening day the year MLB came back after the strike? Well after all the talk, stadiums were still filled in every city.

2) Gas comes from the same place, most gas companies are all owned by the same main company.

3) Most gas stations are privatly owned, they are franchised out to save the main company money. So you will be hurting Joe Shmo in stead of hurting big oil.

4) You will be doing a lot of walking.

5) Gas prices are high everywhere, not just at Mobil, Chevron, and Shell. So even if you buy your gas from Aunt Bettys gas station, you will still be paying the same amount.

6) The US auto driver makes up about 1/8th of the total income for the oil companies, so you won't make a dent anyway.

In closing, there is nothing you or I can to unless you want to dust off that old Tony Hawk and garage your car. Gas prices go up, the price of bread goes up, rent goes up. It's called inflation, and guess what? Your salary has gone up too, unless you happen to work in a bad field. It is the way the economy works, we just have to deal with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW $1.58 ..Lucky you!! On Long Island I am paying an average of $1.95/gal for 89 and $2.15/gal for 94 in my Eclipse (i have no choice). And this is self serve. I wont even go near full serve, you can only imagine what they are charging for that!! Just gotta deal with it until fall when the prices go down again I guess. Last year (or the year before, i forget)our gas got down to .91 for 87 and like 1.10 for premium, it was great. That wont happen again, but I'll live. Oh well, it does sux now though.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Experts are saying that the prices will not be going down. They will peak at about 2.10-2.15 and then go down to 1.80-1.90. By this winter they will steady at about 1.90 and stay there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's $2.1x for 93 in Bloomington, IL. Glad the Cougar gets good gas mileage! The Weapon-R I bought may pay for itself this summer!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
**** i would love to pay about $1.50 for gas it's about $2.05 out here in L.A.
And that's for regular.

·
Registered
972 Posts
****, I paid $2.23 the other day for gas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could even carpool and cut your gas costs in half! But that would be CRAZY! Chainletters are much more effective. (like anyone wants to carpool. How UN-cool!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry ladies and gentlemen, but there is not much we can do for gas prices that is just not just totally crazy. Get used to the gas prices until cars are being mass produced with an alternate energy source. If only cold fusion was available.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If there's one single great thing about Oregon, it's that you are NOT ALLOWED to fill your own gas tank.

I have some really mixed feelings on gas prices. I'm sure my opinion differs from many others, but I honestly would not care that much if the price of gas kept climbing. Would it slow the SUV craze, who knows....no I don't hate SUVs, just wish more people would buy them because they actually need them, and also learn how to drive them safely.

The combustion engine is great and all, but considering all the other technological advancements we've made in the last century, I certainly welcome more efficient sources of energy to power future vehicles. Maybe we'll get there faster by shifting consumer demand toward more fuel effecient (or no-fuel-required) cars. Boy, I sound like the early 70's all over again, but these days, it doesn't have to screw over the enthusiasts.

Well, there's my few cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.