New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1998 V6 MTX Ebony Black Wild at Heart Trim
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask how your guys (and girls) fuel economy is. I was told mine is impossible. Barely any highway driving, almost daily city driving (around 20% of my way to work). And yes its my daily. No LPG or any other b*****it completly stock manual using 5W30.
Driving completley normal goin 60mph on normal roads (that the speed limit on non highway roads here) so it gets to its 3k RPMs in 5th

and for everyone using metric (me included)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Probably all depends on the gas ur running and ur driving habits. I’ve seen that quite a bit on mine when I drove mine a lot. Mines a manual as well. I’ve seen that mileage when I went to all fords nationals some times, but when I was trying to go last time me and my dad were playing around I only got 25-28 mpg. But have seen the 35+ before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Marcus. Last time I checked mine it was around 9.0 with 20% city, and pretty much 120 km/h the rest of it.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
That is shockingly high if your getting that over a full tank. Have you calculated it yourself to confirm that is correct?

·
8,549 Posts
The absolute best I've ever seen was like 32 mpg and that was when the car was new and I was babying it. 35.9 is crazy.

Have you checked it manually? I know mine read a bit high (roughly 8% overall) before I got the 3L...now it reads insanely high.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I've done the math its correct. The Trip Computer always increases by the same (and correct) distance every day so there is nothing reading wrong. The remaining range was calculated at a little over 650km (or 404 miles). I wanna see how far I can get until it says 0. Right now I am at 130 km. Incase its empty before reaching 0 I have a canister in the back which I filled up the last time I was at the pump because it was cheap. If the Trip Computer actually says 650 at the end I'll be happy.

I do have to say right now I got winter tires on it which are 195/60 R15. I did the math they are 6mm smaller than the factory 215/50 R16. But considering they have the winter profile they have bigger rolling resistance.... so on summer tires it might even be a bit better. I'll just say it evens itself out. But I don't even have 215s. The previous owner put on 205s because that was probably easier than finding 215/50 R16 over here in europe.

Its a 1% decrease so if I reach 656,5km on winter tires before the tank is empty I should have reached 650km on summer tires if i did the math correctly. I'll just see what I get once the engine gets no more fuel, subtract 1% and then we know how much I would have reached if I had factory tires. I hope I didn't get something mixed up.

Also the longer I drive the lighter I get so thats a plus aswell. Come to think of it its interesting how many variables influence gas mileage.

Lets see how far it will go

·
8,549 Posts
I just realized you are from Germany. Are you using UK Gallons or US Gallons? (I realize the dash is doing the math for you.)

A UK gallon is 4.546 liters; US is 3.785. Actually if you're using UK Gallons in the denominator, US Gallons would give you an even higher reading. I think...I'm tired.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Good catch Skater. That looks like the answer:

29.9 US MPG is still doing very well, but its not unheard of, especially on skinny tires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't even know US and UK miles were different.... Well, considering that most people I talk to use around 10-12 L/100km I would say not bad for me babying it. If I wanna drive a little sporty which I usually always do if I don't try to get the lowest a
gasmileage possible I stay at around 9 L/100km. Well lets see how far I can get until the engine runs out of fuel and then we'll convert it into any form of measurement that you want.... how about footballfields per gallon? (sorry I know that joke was bad)

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
US football or "rest of the world" football?

·
8,549 Posts
I didn't even know US and UK miles were different....
The miles are the same as far as I'm aware. It's the gallons that are different. ;)

how about footballfields per gallon? (sorry I know that joke was bad)
Rods to the hogshead is completely unambiguous.

Side note: I can't wait to get back to Germany for my next visit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The miles are the same as far as I'm aware. It's the gallons that are different. ;)
Ah dammit in my head I was thinking the right thing but then wrote out the wrong one.....

Rods to the hogshead is completely unambiguous.

Side note: I can't wait to get back to Germany for my next visit.
I still prefer the simplicity of Oktoberfest Tents to Beer Mug

Hopefully somewhere in the south!

·
8,549 Posts
Ah dammit in my head I was thinking the right thing but then wrote out the wrong one.....
I knew that, I just couldn't resist.

I still prefer the simplicity of Oktoberfest Tents to Beer Mug
Isn't "beer mug" another word for liter?

Hopefully somewhere in the south!
My wife and I visited in 2016 and started in Frankfurt, then Heidelberg, Sinsheim, Stuttgart, Munich, Berlin, Hamburg, and back to Frankfurt. Roughly two weeks total. The first few were one day each until Munich and Berlin - 3 days each there, although one of the ones in Munich was the obligatory trip to Neuschwanstein (actually saw a Cougar during that excursion). For our next trip, we have no idea yet - Black Forest, more castles, Europa Park, maybe dipping into Austria (I visited Vienna in 2014 and loved it, but I haven't seen anything else). I'd love to bike the Rhine. See the Christmas Markets in some picturesque German town. (Some of these things are seasonally incompatible.) See the Heidelberg castle again - it was cold and raining, and we missed important portions of it. I could spend months in Berlin just studying the history of the Wall. And, of course, see Miniatur Wunderland's newest expansions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I knew that, I just couldn't resist.
Who could?

Isn't "beer mug" another word for liter?
Don't know if its the right translation. Maybe "Maßkrug" is known to you? so a Maß mug which (what a surprise) hold 1 Liter

My wife and I visited in 2016 and started in Frankfurt, then Heidelberg, Sinsheim, Stuttgart, Munich, Berlin, Hamburg, and back to Frankfurt. Roughly two weeks total. The first few were one day each until Munich and Berlin - 3 days each there, although one of the ones in Munich was the obligatory trip to Neuschwanstein (actually saw a Cougar during that excursion). For our next trip, we have no idea yet - Black Forest, more castles, Europa Park, maybe dipping into Austria (I visited Vienna in 2014 and loved it, but I haven't seen anything else). I'd love to bike the Rhine. See the Christmas Markets in some picturesque German town. (Some of these things are seasonally incompatible.) See the Heidelberg castle again - it was cold and raining, and we missed important portions of it. I could spend months in Berlin just studying the history of the Wall. And, of course, see Miniatur Wunderland's newest expansions.
Dang.... someone's been around germany more than I was. I just wanna modify cars and speed up and down the autobahn as long as there is no speedlimit.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Marcus, we would all love to see a nice photo of a Cougar next to an autobahn sign.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Marcus, we would all love to see a nice photo of a Cougar next to an autobahn sign.
Will do that once winter is over, snow is gone and I don't have the ugly steelies but the nice chrome stock wheels and when my paint doesn't look like crap anymore because the paint shop messed up the clear coat and now it just looks like someone used a matt black rattle can and had a few strokes while painting (also its peeling off) but once they got time they will fix it and polish the whole car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trust me racing down the Autobahn is the best thing ever.
Almost feels like its made for it. Nice firm suspension but not too hard just right for comfort and sportiness and decent power to accelerate and overtake but not completly over the top (even tho that wouldn't be such a bad thing lol).

Funny enough I always seem to race Skoda Octavia VRSs but they never have the balls to go over 200 km/h which for my topspeed of (or at least what I reached) 237 km/h is no problem haha.

Also no ratteling no shaking no wind noise at that speed which just impresses me considering its now a 22 year old car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts