New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been driving like a granny this last tank to see how my mileage looks and its not promising. I just her filled up, and my current gas mileage is 18.6 MPG. Almost all of my driving is city driving, meaning I may only go 5 - 6 miles at a time without hitting a light and stopping. I've looked up mileage online and it looks like 20 MPG is normal in the city, and 30 MPG is normal on the highway.

Do you feel my mileage is in check with average mileage? Or is there anything I should be looking at to increase my mileage? I recently purchased Ford Racing wires and Autolite double plat plugs, will these help my mileage at all? Furthermore, I have a AEM short ram intake in the mail, which I hope will also increase mileage a little bit?

I've noticed a few other things with the car. My rear window wiper is LOUD, I mean, I hate to turn the thing on cause its screeches so damn much its embarrising, is there anything I can do to fix this? I think it's a brand new blade since I just bought the car from the dealership. If I should replace it, anyone have a good experience with a brand/size, that doesnt screech?!

Thanks a lot guys, its time to get a bottle of WD-40 and fix all the creaking inside too!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
This still pizzes me off, its a damn 2.5L engine! How can it possibly get 18mpg! Geez new V8's get higher EPA estimates. Its the same with any V6 today though, I just don't see how they can't make them more fuel efficient. Also the escape with a 3L, heavier body, more drivetrain to turn (AWD) gets the same if not better...WTF? Sorry just venting, with today's technology make them quick and make them efficient.

BTW that's about what I get now, my 320 hp SC3L got 24/32 city/hwy, don't know how a stock 2.5 can be so low but whateva.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I never thought I would say this but try a different brand of gas.

For those of you in Iowa and surrounding areas I bought gas only from QT. I averaged about 23 mpg city/ 28 interstate. On the recomendation of someone here I changed to Shell. Went though about 6 tankfuls. My milage instantly dropped to about 16 city/23 interstate.

I'm back to using QT again.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
true true, i get the best mileage with Exxon/Mobil 87octane. If i try Citgo or Gulf gas my car's like, "what, are you kidding?" and feels rough, hesitates, and gives me crap mileage. my car does O.K. with Shell, but i can usually squeeze 15-25 miles extra out of a tank of mobil, and my car just seems happier.

You dont have a CEL, do you? my DPFE sensor crapped out and i was getting like 16 city 23 highway.

G

·
Is this MPG figure coming from your dash computer, or are you computing this by filling your tank, refilling, doing the math? The dash figure isn't the most accurate.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Originally posted by: 99SilverCougarV6
How much do DPFE sensors go for?

75 bucks. At least that is dealer pricing. I know i need a new one...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by: 99SilverCougarV6
How much do DPFE sensors go for?
When I went to a Mercury dealership in Va they said it was $66. I ended up getting it for $54 after asking for a discount. :banana:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i paid $50 for a Wells (autozone)

& yea its easy to replace. 2 7mm (i think?) bolts, easy access after you remove yr intake. It's bolted to the side of the motor under the UIM. Get a new one and that way youll know what to remove. I remember I tore off the TB bracket but i dont think i needed to. It reads vaccume difference between 2 lines going to and from the EGR via rubber hoses... I accidentally tore the end off of one of them when removing cuz it had adhered somehow, but there was plenty of slack to make up for it. like a 20 minute job.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Originally posted by: performancepartz
its time to get a bottle of WD-40 and fix all the creaking inside too!
WD40? Just get a rear stabilizer

:thumbsup:

& as far as yr wiper goes, dont count on a used dealer lot to replace all yr wipers. My rear wiper has never chattered, but my windshield did like crazy. I bought Bosch Micro Edge ones, the ~$13 a piece ones, Windex'd, Rain-X'd (PROPERLY) my windshield, and i havent heard them chatter more than a handfull of times in months.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Want better gas mileage? Change your oil. Yea, believe it are not, the oil you use will make a difference. You can go to a 0W30 AMSOIL long change interval, pure synthetic motor oil and get quicker starting, better gas economy, better wear protection, and increased power.. Take a look at my Group Buy Group Buy
:cool: Seriously this is not hype, this is the best mode you could ever make to your car.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I also run Amsoil 0w-30! Highly recommend.

Mr. Froge, I am going to attempt and dyno my car on Amsoil, then on regular oil to see about the HP gains which are claimed by amsoil.

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Hey, I had that happening to me but when I put in my Optima battery I guess it reset the computer and I noticed that it had a higher gas milage... just select the the MPG and push the reset button and you'll get a more accurate MPG.

I play with it all the time, it's really fun with the 5 speed because if you drive like a old person you can get (well I can) get like 50 MPG in 5th gear at 55MPH... it's great and also since I got my Injen intake and Cat back exhaust I average 25MPG city driving.

Try playing with the reset button though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts